Recommendation for Transmission work

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Recommendation for Transmission work
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Anyone out there have a recommendation for a shop that can rebuild Transmissions in the Fredericksburg VA area? Lang's has rebuilt ones for 1500. I haven't got it out of the car yet but one of the triple gears is hitting the flywheel. I think the bushing is bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 02:54 am:

Yep, it's the flange on the bushing, probably rubbing on the flywheel or worse case something got loose and is hitting the triples...since you're going to have to pull the bloody engine anyway, why not just rebush the triple gears yourself? Install some new triple shaft pins whilst you're at it and solve all your potential problems. It will be far cheaper than buying a rebuilt trans, besides you already know how yours runs and feels...not so with a rebuild...might be better...might not. Fix your own and you're golden for a lot less money. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 05:19 am:

Robert, you may want to talk to Clyde Minges who is in Fayetteville NC. He isn't that far from you and specializes in Model T. His number is 910.323.5043.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:03 am:

I second recommending Clyde He is currently completing some service items and installing a Ruckstell rear axle. Great guy and an even better source to know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't driven the car yet. I just got it and found the problem. So once I pull it I'll be able to see what needs to be done. If I can do it myself I will but I don't know what I don't know yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Robert, if you are capable of taking the engine out you are capable of fixing your own transmission. It is very simple and easy to repair. It would be much cheaper than having it fixed and you will learn more about your car and how it works. You should have no issues and if you do that's what this forum is for. I suspect that the triple gear pin for the gear that's rubbing on the flywheel has sheared off so you will either have to replace your flywheel with one that has good pins or you could install new pins in the flywheel which you already have so long as the pin failure did not crack it.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Thanks All for the encouragement. I'm going to give it a go. Once I get it out I'll be able to see what's going on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration