The MTFCI Website Update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The MTFCI Website Update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

The MTFCI Website is back on-line now, with a totally new and improved format.

The MTFCI Forum is missing and discontinued, due to some frequent issues.

Evidently, we must all clean up our act or this forum might go the same way, if the MTFCA board or officers decide to follow the MTFCI plan for similar reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

According to the opening message on the new MTFCI website, the forum was discontinued because the low level of use didn't justify keeping it. Interestingly, it also recommends using this forum...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

dang... there were some really great old photo threads on the MTFCI forum. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

What is their new site. I cannot get anything with the Model T Ford Club International wording.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

https://www.modelt.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

Just do a search with Google Chrome and it goes right to the above URL address for your first choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Small world ain't it? I just discovered that the address for MTFCI is right here in Hudson NC where I live. I know whos address and phone number is given. I do not know the gentleman personally but he is a local businessman. Who woulda thought?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Seriously are all the photos posted on the last forum gone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

I hope not!
I will have to look later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

What is "Google Chrome"? You mean we have to load new software to view the site now? That's the reason I left MTFCI and never went back. Nothing ever seemed to work or you needed a password. I'm not loading special software for ANY site. Especially one that's as snooty and private as MTFCI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

This Forum will never go the way the International went as long as we don't let it . The I was dead as they come and the Barn T Forum is right behind it. It's been "hot" here for many years because of the diversity the powers that be seem hell bent on eliminating. Let's see where this new development actually leads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

I don't know about chrome, but no, you don't need any new software. An ordinary Google search will do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Or you could simply click on the link Dick posted above.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on November 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

This website went down and disappeared for over a month at one time. It came back completely changed. It was done at the direction of a single club official. Don't kid yourself that it can't or won't happen again without warning. Please remember what you read here because even this post can easily disappear, I know because I have done it.

The thing the club directors know is that the day that this forum is removed another privately run site will take its place, only the club will have no control over and receive no benefit from it. Should that happen there is a good chance that the old guard readers being twice burned may never return should a good replacement site appear. This site is responsible for a large block of membership, a fact well known to the club officers.

The first forum was started by Gus Stangeland and run well. Due to it's success the club sought it out and took it over. At that time I served as a volunteer forum and website helper for Gus and the club. Now that I am retired I might offer help to such a site for the benefit of the hobby. Hey, isn't that the raison d'etre for the club's existence?

TH

(Message edited by Thorlick on November 07, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Hopefully they will make a file of the old messages and pictures available as the construction of the new site continues.

If not, there are other backups of the information available. It's the internet - nothing ever really goes away! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:58 pm:

Brian, didn't happen last time!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Let me modify that statement. I put all the early forums on a cd set which the club sold. All the material on the forum posted after the cds and before the forum takedown was lost.

One of the biggest reasons the forum was shut down was that all the old forums took too much bandwidth (money) to keep up on the website. The publicly stated reason was bickering on the forum being detrimental to the club. Bickering didn't go away but the cost of storing those forums did. We have a lot of forums on the server which are searchable and using bandwidth.

I have no idea where the board stands on that, but an "accidental" crash took down a lot last time.

Respectively submitted, TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 05:56 am:

To say I am PISSED OFF is an understatement!!!!!
I invested untold hours posting photos for the good of the hobby and the MTFCI didn't even have the decency to give me a heads up that they were going to pull the rug out from under the site!!!
90% of the photos I posted on the MTFCI forum were never posted here on the MTFCA forum.

If I would have been notified I could have copied what I had posted on the MTFCI so I could sort out what stuff could be posted here on the MTFCA forum without duplicating past posts here.

SHAME ON YOU MTFCI BOARD OF DIRECTORS!!!!! :-(:-(:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:09 am:

Jay and Others,
Everything from the website was saved. If you contact the webmaster, you can access the photos.

The reason for the change was that the cost of maintenance from the hacks that occurred was overwhelming, and the Board felt it was best to start with a new slate. Also, as you have seen with this forum, it takes daily monitoring to keep everything on the up and up.

Also, as was stated, the website is still under construction. The board did agree that the MTFCI would not host a forum in the future.
Russ Furstnow
President, MTFCI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:36 am:

So basically it's save money and send them elsewhere. They can spend their cash there. Bickering didn't shut them down and it won't here it'll be $$$$$.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:22 am:

So basically if the MTFCA can get past some of the hurdles it would be a better investment of membership funds than the I?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Don't we all spend money on what we think is worthwhile? - Things, be they food, shelter, Model T parts, vacations, etc.

How many of us will spend money to put gas in our vehicle tanks when there is a leak in the tank and more gas spills onto the ground than goes thru the carburetor?

Russ stated:

The reason for the change was that the cost of maintenance from the hacks that occurred was overwhelming
"

So, we plug the hole in the tank before spending gas money....AND the I Forum is changed to avoid spending TIME and money needlessly.

No?

What I find most interesting is that this (MTFCA) Forum is so popular - (with all it's drawbacks), that it survives as the Forum of choice for so many Model T lovers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:42 am:

That's up to the individual Mack. Are you really getting less for your $ with the I ? I don't think so. Their Forum was basically unused for years so there's no loss there. It was costing them so they dropped it. It's not like there's no where else to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:55 am:

The loss of the forum has little effect on the value of MTFCI membership. It was so little used as to be irrelevant in that regard. If membership was worthwhile before, it still is. If it wasn't, it isn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:00 am:

I will support BOTH the MTFCA and MTFCI when ever possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Thanks Russ for the info.
The speedster photos was THE best single source of such photos on the entire Web. I count 613 speedster related photos which I still have on disk in my computer.

I have close to 10,000 Model T Era on my hard drive all told. Many have been posted to either Forum over the years. A bunch still remain to be posted in the future.

Hopefully the MTFCI will make all the Old Photos that WERE posted there available for the World to see once again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Suggestion to the MTFCI webmaster - why not create a "Period Photos" link on the home page and move the content of the old forum photo threads to it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:43 am:

If band width and green is the main issue I would be happy to drop an extra 10.00 for the value to me of this very valuable information, selling or buying hard to find parts, and the monthly magazine.
Many including myself are down sizing there stash knowing younger employed folks are in need and I am not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

If I'm reading this correctly there were MORE old photos on the other forum.....wow! Holy cow, I thought we were immensely blessed by Jay and others here. Hopefully the info can be saved so I can check it out someday.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

I have for quite awhile preferred this forum. But, I have in the past tried to support both. I don't know what the problem has been over there for the past two years, however, I have had a lot of trouble using it in that time.
Since I live outside of town, and am limited to a poor quality low level DSL connection for my internet, I do often run into difficulties downloading websites. There are several websites I visit often (though not nearly as much as here?), which are more complicated and glitzy, yet they download fine, nearly always. Unfortunately, the MTFCI site usually had trouble downloading to me. Often, I couldn't see most of the photos, sometimes even the text would not come through. It became very frustrating for me trying to look at or participate in their forum. I would try for a time, then stay away for awhile.
While I much prefer the discussions here, I did like a lot of the photo arrays that were formed on the MTFCI site. Jay and Royce both started and contributed a lot of time and information to numerous specialty threads. Other people also contributed quite a bit to some of those threads. I have several of those threads that had particular interest to me bookmarked for ready reference. A few specific year models, and the many timers threads were among the best. Although the mostly Nor Cal Jay original speedsters, Ts, and TT truck photo threads were the best over all. It would be a shame if they were not saved, made generally available, and preferably, even continued to be added to. It could be done as either an open forum, or a general research sub site.

I really do wish I knew why I had so much trouble with that site. I suspect my "barely qualifies as a DSL" line is part of the problem. I do know other people also had troubles with that site. I have no idea how many? Hundreds? Thousands? It had to hurt their usage. And why they got hacked so much, I don't know either.

Craig S, Yes, there were a lot more photos on that site. I think about a dozen threads specialized in a specific aspect of model T history. Timers, for instance, hundreds of modern pictures and original ads for timers. Specific year model photos were among my favorite.

And, Thank You Chris Brancaccio, for all you do for us. I know that we are a difficult bunch.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

sadly I never got the page to load right either.But I am on dial-up. And it is fowled up at the moment,a whooping 24kbps right now. But this site loads well and works great.
I am not really up on internet technology but I would think alot of other country's that the Mtfci would be catering to may not have the best dsl service. Loading speed may be a problem for more folks than they realize.
The forum is a good outreach to new people in the hobby, loosing this forum would be detrimental to the hobby in general.And to inform others and to promote the Model T should be important enough to maintain at least 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

An Open Letter to my Model T Friends:

The discussion regarding the MTFCI website has been both informative and interesting, and I want to thank everyone for their input.

In October, 2017, the MTFCI Board of Directors decided to completely remodel the MTFCI website because of recurring problems and maintenance issues over the past four to five years. The board asked the current webmaster, Marilyn Petersen, to build a new website from scratch, and using GoDaddy as the host server, she accomplished the task in three weeks! I'm very pleased with the initial version of the website, and Marilyn is already planning to upgrade many components of the website.

The reasons the board decided to make the changes are:
1) The cost of maintenance and upkeep due to the persistent hacking was $75 per hour and this amount was not established in the current budget.
2) The GoDaddy web builder and maintenance fees are significantly less that trying to maintain the previous troublesome website.
3) Our current webmaster, Marilyn Petersen, is retiring in January 2017, and no one to this point has asked to be the replacement webmaster. We have had inquiries about this position, but the MTFCI has advertised Marilyn's retirement for the past five months. Going with the GoDaddy host, the website is much easier to maintain, and it is hopeful that the time it takes to take care of the website will be much less than the previous website.
4) The previous website forum has been under performing since it inception. This fact has been noted on this forum numerous times. People have had trouble getting onto the forum and some found the forum difficult to use. That being said, I want the thank Royce Peterson, Jay-in Northern Calif, Mark Strange and Steve Jelf for keeping the MTFCI forum on "life support" for that three to four years. These men tried their best to create the type of website we wanted, but in the end, the forum remained dormant and not cost effective.

The job of the MTFCI Board of Directors is to provide responsible leadership, including financial leadership, for the MTFCI. The Board determined that throwing "good money after bad" did not demonstrate good leadership.

The new website is in its infancy, and I hope each of you will give it time to grow and mature. Marilyn did a great job building what you see now, but positive things will be added, including the club technical library. Also, it appears the website will be able to include a "photo library" which can accommodate old photos like those published on the previous MTFCI forum.

Finally, if you have any suggestions about what you would like to see on the website, please email me at president@modelt.org. The Board will evaluate each suggestion with our webmaster and determine if these recommendations can be included on the new website.

Thank you for your comments, and please keep your eye on the new MTFCI website.
Sincerely,
Russ Furstnow, MTFCI President

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

"In October, 2017, the MTFCI Board of Directors decided to completely remodel the MTFCI website..."

Russ, were Michael J. Fox and a Delorean involved in this? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Dick, You got me.....October 2016. Russ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

I used to frequent the MTFCI forum back about 10 to 15 years ago. Then it was a much different forum to how it ended up. It was more cumbersome and difficult to navigate, but it was quite popular then and it was a great help getting me started in the hobby.
There was a lady who posted on there regularly, a real character, who had a pet name for her T. She once wrote down a sequence of tasks for the layman to get a T started and to drive the thing. Years ago I meant to copy it down, but never did.
Does anybody remember her, her name and her T's name?
My biggest regret about the MTFCI forum's demise is that all those great Speedster pics (largely down to Jay in Nth'n CA) have gone too.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Baybridge Sue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Yep Royce is right, Bay Bridge Sue. I remember her.
I might have a paper copy of that thread around here, but it would take some digging to find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

She has a '15 touring that she got from her dad. She posted here once a couple years ago. I always enjoyed what she had to say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Yep, that's her.
Baybridge Sue....."Thank You" for that.
I used to really enjoy her posts. She was/is very passionate about her T and its heritage.
Can you remember the name of her T?
Thanks again.
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Once I knew who to look for, I did some searching and found that her T was named "Angel".......and this......

I copied Susanne's post. Here it is:

STARTING AND DRIVING THE MODEL-T FORD
by Bay Bridge Sue
"The Model-T is operated by THREE pedals on the floor in front of the driver, the EMERGENCY brake lever to the left, and the SPARK and GAS levers on the steering quadrant. RIGHT is BRAKE, CENTER is REVERSE and LEFT is the CLUTCH. Pull the EMERGENCY BRAKE handle all the way back, to set the rear brakes and place the transmission in NEUTRAL. RETARD the SPARK by pushing the LEFT quadrant lever all the way up. Pull the GAS quadrant lever down 2 or 3 notches. Then CHOKE the engine by pulling the choke rod out for 3-4 quarter revolutions of the engine. Turn on the ignition switch to BAT and crank the engine until it starts. When it does start, you can switch the ignition to MAG and pull the SPARK lever down about 1/2 way to give some power to the engine.
To get underway, hold your right foot on the BRAKE while releasing the hand brake to the vertical position, but NOT all the way forward yet! The car is still in neutral and you are holding it stopped by the service brake. Add some gas and at the same time release the BRAKE pedal and SLOWLY depress the CLUTCH pedal to the floor to get underway and hold it there. When you have attained a speed of about 10 MPH, release the EMERGENCY brake to the forwardmost position and SLOWLY let the clutch pedal all the way out as you would a conventional clutch and you are now in HIGH gear. Advance the GAS lever as required. To STOP, reduce the speed with the gas lever by pushing up, apply the brake, and when almost stopped depress the clutch pedal about half way to keep the engine from stalling. To go backward, keeping the CLUTCH pedal depressed halfway, release the brake with your right foot and SLOWLY depress the center REVERSE pedal and hold it tightly for as long as you want to go backwards. Then release it and apply the BRAKE as normally. All the time keeping the clutch pedal slightly depressed to be in NEUTRAL. The emergency brake lever may also be applied a few notches when going in reverse instead of depressing the clutch. After you get confidence you will soon learn to release the hand brake lever all the way when holding the clutch pedal in NEUTRAL when starting off and going in REVERSE. If you get in a panic situation, just remember to press HARD on any TWO pedals simultaneously and it will bring you to a STOP and stall the engine!! GOOD LUCK!

Basics
Levers: the 2 levers under the steering wheel are the throttle (on the right) and spark advance (on the left). The spark lever controls the spark timing - up is retarded (for starting), and you pull it down to advance it to drive. If you try to crank the car with the lever down, the car will backfire (and pop your arm - ouch!!!)...
The throttle is kind of the same - all the way up closes the throttle, to speed up, pull the throttle down. Remember - Spark on the left, Gas on the right.
Starting - Read all this through first!!! Hand brake ALL the way back. I put a chock block under one of the wheels as well - T's tend to want to "creep" when started. SPARK lever UP. Gas on. Switch OFF. Gas lever down a couple notches... and recheck the spark (left) lever to make sure it's up! Go to the front of your car, hold the choke wire loop out (it's on the left as you face the radiator, near the bottom of the rad.) and holding the crank at the 8:00 to 9:00 position push it in - you'll feel it engage. Slowly (to get the feel of it) pull the crank over the top. Easy, no? Do that (with the choke wire out) 2-3 more times. Your motor is *hopefully) primed and ready to go.
Go back to the switch, and if your car has a battery installed, turn the keyswitch to "Bat". (If not, I'll explain in a sec!) If you're really lucky, your car will go "Kerchuf" or maybe even start. If not, you'll hear the coils buzzing under the hood. That's a good sign. If not, don't despair.
If you DON'T have a battery, don't worry - as long as the magneto in your car is still there (and working), and you don't have an aftermarket ignition system (like a distributor like was on your A) you should still be able to get your car to fire. In this case, turn the switch to "Mag". Your coils won't buzz, as the motor has to be turning to make electricity to make the coils work (think like a lawnmower!)...
Now comes the fun! With the switch on and the handbrake back and the wheel chock in place and the SPARK LEVER UP go back in front of the car. Engage the crank at the 8:00-9:00 position, and give it a *swift* pull. If on battery, you should hear the coils buzz. You may need to do this a few times, but the car *should* start!
Once the car fires and is running, pull the spark lever 1/2 way down. Adjust the throttle so it's idling somewhat smoothly, and you're ready to go!
Pedals - the 3 on the floor control your gearshift *and* your brakes. The one on the left (that faces left!) is called the "Clutch" pedal, but it's really the "forward" pedal - all the way down, it puts the car in low gear. Halfway back, you're in neutral, and al the way out is High gear. Also, the hand brake controls the clutch as well (through a linkage below the floorboards). When you pull back on the hand brake, before it puts the parking brake on it moves the pedal into the neutral position... This is important wen you get to the next pedal...
The middle (diamond-shaped) pedal is the Reverse pedal. With the car in Neutral, push down on the pedal, and the car moves in reverse. To disengage, take your foot off the pedal. Easy, no? When you want to stop...
Push the right pedal (the one facing right!). This is your service brake.
Couple of things on the pedals - when you push down on the left or middle one, do NOT be GENTLE - you're contracting a brake band around an oil-soaked drum in the transmission, and you want that drum to stop solid! That's how a T goes into gear. You'll want to find a big parking lot and practice operating the pedals at just over an idle until you get used to them, and how they work. And if worse comes to worse, pull back on the brake lever and stomp on the brake pedal.
Gas and oil? You'll get a bunch of opinions on this, so I'll give you mine first. For Gas, even though a T was designed to run on 60-70 octane gasoline (it was really nasty stuff in the 20's and 30's!!) I run mine on 92 octane. Why? Mine runs better with high-test. Some people run better with el cheapo regular. It's kind of car-dependent. Oil is a huge ball of wax... Being on the west coast (tho south of you) where it doesn't snow, I run 30 wt. detergent oil. Some will say use 10-40, but my feeling (personal opinion) is it's too light for these slow, plain-bearing motors. Why detergent? It's available (non-det can be hard to find), it's of better quality (I burned up a VW motor on non-det during a break in, as the best non-det 30 wt I could find was trash!!), and it won't hurt your motor. At least it hasn't hurt *any* of our cars since we've owned them.
DON'T use a graphite based oil. 2 reasons. One, the graphite *will* cause problems with the magneto, which runs in oil. Second, the clutch (and transmission), which *also* runs in oil (the whole motor/clutch.trans assy runs on the same oil bath) will tend to slip. Some folk use it, but I wouldn't go near it!
How much? The car takes 1 gallon (US, not imperial). There are 2 petcocks on the right side of the bottom of the transmission - they're (usually) brass. The oil level is right when it's 1/2 way between the 2. So... if you open the top and get a tiny start of a drip, and then you open the bottom and get a stream, you *should* be OK. If oil does not come out of the bottom petcock, check (with a piece of wire) to make sure it's not clogged, and if it still doesn't, you're low on oil.
Your car probably has a starter and generator in it... It should have a 6 volt Negative Ground system (Ford went to Positive ground with the A, the T was Neg. ground!), tho it *may* have ben changed at some time.
I covered a lot here, but (hopefully) it'll be enough to get you started. Most importantly, approach your new car with common sense, DON'T be afraid of it, and have fun. Remember, the T was, in a lot of instances, the very first motorcar that a person had driven, and in it's early years, the car was expected to be worked on by it's owner (and it was designed as such!). They're really hard to hurt (as evidenced by all the T's still around!) and meant to drive... Good Luck,
Susanne"

(Message edited by rob patterson on November 09, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:32 am:

Bay Bridge Sue posted on this forum as well. Her posts were fun to read. I miss her.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 01:06 pm:

Ya, I miss her too. :-(

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Isn't there a way to track her down and invite her back? Seems to me there was a reason she left; it may have been a temporary situation, since resolved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

This was a thread a few years ago that mentioned her:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/440936.html?1398625803

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:56 am:

I see that the MTFCI has added a "photos" button to their website (not fully populated yet), looks like they will be making all of the great photos that Jay and others had uploaded available, thankyou MTFCI! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration