OT- Steve Jelf, Please help me out with Mac image resize

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT- Steve Jelf, Please help me out with Mac image resize
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Steve,
For years, you've touted the virtues of Mac over Windows for posting images to the forum. Well, my wife got tired of listening to me complain about Windows 10 and bought me a MacBook Air.

It's a nice laptop, but I can't figure out how to resize photos with it. I really want to list some spare parts in the classifieds, but I need to shrink the files first. What app do you recommend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Open your photos in "Preview."

Click "Tools" and scroll down to "Adjust Size."

When the window opens, adjust "Height" by percentage - the "Width" will follow by the same percentage.

At the bottom of the window, you should see "Resulting Size" in both pixels and MB. Decrease the percentage until you get the size you want.

I have an older Macbook with out of date software, but things should be basically the same as what you have.

PS: to right click on a Mac, press "Control" on the keyboard when clicking the mouse or trackpad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

You can also "right click" on an I-Mac trackpad by using two fingers.

After you change your size per Erik's instructions, go back to the picture in your file in "Preview"..I keep mine in "Documents" and click on "get info" to double check the size. I keep finding that in the pic I change to a smaller size, say 234KB, it may actually be 256 KB when you check it in Preview. So you have to go back to bringing up the picture and down-sizing it just a wee bit more. I find that if I get my pics re-sized first to about 177-185 KB, they end up being around 234-249 KB in all actuality. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Boy, I thought this would be easier than with Windows. On the bright side, I found a way to lock up a Mac, just like a PC. I'll keep plugging away at this until I get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Tim, no you don't have to go back and do it over. If the initial Resulting Size is 250 KB or less, you're good to go even if Preview later shows it higher. Example:

Preview lists this as 291KB. But when resizing it, Resulting Size showed 250 KB or less,so it works.

Erik's description is right, but I would add one thing. Shoot pictures full size. Make a copy to resize, and keep the original full size for future use. Once you resize the original, you can't get it back.

Here's the procedure illustrated:

Click on the original full size file to highlight it.

On the keyboard press Command/C and then Command/V to make a copy. This copy is what you'll resize. Double click the copy file to open it.

Click Tools to open the tool menu.

In this case the photo is darker than I'd like, so I'm taking a little detour to fix that. If your picture is OK you can skip this step.

In the Tools menu I click Adjust Color.

I brighten the picture by moving the Exposure slider to the right.

With the brightness adjusted, now I get back to resizing.

In the Tools menu click on Adjust Size.

Highlight the Height (drag the cursor across it with the mouse clicked to turn it blue). Note that in this case the full size is 5.1 MB.

Change the height to whatever number makes Resulting Size 250KB or less. In this case, one more pixel in height made the resulting size over 250 KB, so I go with the pixel height which gives me 248 KB. Click OK.

That prints the photo ID in the Message box. (\popjpeg and a number in brackets)

My picture is under the 250 KB limit and appears on the forum.

A note on height adjustment: I have a self-imposed height limit of 720 pixels, even if that makes the file size way under 250 KB. I do this because a height over 720 pixels is too tall to fit my screen without scrolling.

And yes, it is easier than Windows. Paint doesn't give you Resulting Size and you have to guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Alright, I think I've finally got it. Try this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

It worked! Thanks for the help.

BTW- I still miss Office Photo Manager, it was easy to use. But, I agree that this is better than Paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Steve, Great tutorial! Thanks.

Eric, nice subliminal ad placement :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 02:26 am:

The first rule in anything dealing with graphics...NEVER DISTORT OR DESTROY THE ORIGINAL! Best format to shoot pictures in is RAW, because all the information is there in the file. Like Steve says you can resize it all you want but save it as a different file, myself I always include the file size in the new file name, so I know at a glance what I'm looking at without a rollover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:47 am:

I always resize duplicates and keep the originals as is.

It's best to make a duplicate first and then make changes to the copy instead of making changes to the original and then doing a "file save as" or similar operation. That way, you won't accidentally make any irreversable changes to the original.

However, depending on the version of Preview that is in your Mac, if you do make changes to the original picture file that you opened, it will warn you and ask you if you want to unlock the original file or make changes to a duplicate. So, there are some safeguards.

Also - if you have all your original photos in iPhoto, you can export a copy of any photo out of the photo library and into another folder in order to make copies. That also prevents you from changing originals.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration