VT Speedster Project: Mechanicals Part I

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: VT Speedster Project: Mechanicals Part I
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill p on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

OK,the body is gone. I'm starting on the engine. I have no idea if it is shot; how long since it's run; etc.

I tried to research the forum and understood that the first steps include:

Removing the oil and lower pan. Search for pieces of metal with a magnet in the old oil.

Remove transmission cover and inspect.

Test compression.

(The engine turns over fine, as far as I can tell).

Only one shop I could find to boil and test the radiator in Vermont. Any ideas on how best to clear the block and head water jackets of loose gunk? (I cut open the lower radiator hose and found sediment on the bottom surface of the hose.) So I'm wondering if I should do anything -short of disassembly to attempt to clear junk.

In advance thanks for any tips to determine earlier versus later if the engine is shot and needs to be pulled. Thanks, ~Bill P.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Vinegar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

Vinegar in the radiator is much more effective than most rad shops cleaning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 10:47 am:

If the engine is in any condition to run, then start her up and see what she sounds like. Look for oil burning, knocks, loud transmission, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Do you put vinegar in the radiator and the block to clean out the water jacket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Yes you can put it in both the radiator and the block. Make sure you flush it out properly or else you will simply have loose rust in your cooling system, causing even more problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Bill I would recommend not to take to much apart,flush the engine the raditor,check the valve timing, change the oil and put some fresh gas in the tank. Jack up the rear wheel and see if she will start, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Fitz

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration