Unidentifiable objects

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Unidentifiable objects
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cody adam jackson on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

i have a spark plug with a weird brass/copper attachment on it. Kinda looks like it air cools the object? No idea and can't upload photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Email me a picture at edbaudoux at gmail dot com, and I will post it here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Sounds like it might be a priming spark plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale wcisel on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

you may have a "spark intensifier" attached to it that created an air gap to raise the voltage to boost the spark at the business end of the plug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Air compressor attachment?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cody adam jackson on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

How's it work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

There is a check valve in the finned thing, likely. Never seen one with a spark plug in the mix.
Can't imagine this being some sort of a wolf whistle, but been wrong before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

What's wrong with you guys? Those are very rare Flux Capacitor igniters. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:10 pm:

Looks like the top end is threaded, as for a hose. I think the air compressor guess is probably right. If it's anything like the one Dad used on the '41 Plymouth, it will take you a long time to fill an air mattress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale wcisel on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Sure does look like some sort of compressor attachment. There was probably a shut-off valve at the top of it and then a hose. I guess you just pulled the plug wire to that cylinder before using it. I think the fins would help cool the compressed air as much as all that un-burned atomized fuel suspended in it would....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, November 07, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

If you pulled the plug wire and used it as a compressor wouldn't the air mattress (or whatever) fill with unburied air/fuel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:33 am:

Here's a maybe...U shove that coil end into the exhaust pipe and the spark plug is hooked to a coil to cause an afterburner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:57 am:

Back on the farm, we had a fragrant mound condensor with eight of these around the
rim of the infeed dialator. The spark from each rotated the impact module at the exact
moment of metriculation, resulting in the condensation of airborne particulates to the
squared parabola that spun in sync with the impact modules. The condensate was then
cooled and collected at the stem base for packaging and sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karen Pinkhard on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:44 am:

I think that it might be an air compressor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:09 am:

It looks like some type of spark plug air pump. Schreader made one back in the 60's that Western auto, Sears, and Farm stores sold.
We had a Schreader brand pump we used on the farm.

You unscrewed the spark plug and screwed the device into the spark plug hole. They came in different sizes.

You can do a search on the web using the term Spark plug air pump and find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Burger,

That's what I said. Flux Capacitor igniters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:01 am:

I believe the later spark plug air compressors made by Schrader and others do not use the compressed combustion air to air up the tire. I remember reading somewhere that the engine air operates the pump and the air going in the tire is outside atmospheric air. ??? At least that is what the old timers brain remembers .. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Spark plug compressors use pressure from the engine to move a piston which pumps air, not engine gases.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration