Distributors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Distributors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Rob, Mark, thanks guys for those pics. I'm at a point where I need to decide which Distributor to use. I think I've ruled out a Bosch. So, T Ranch or Texas T Parts. I like the simplicity of the T Ranch design. The only draw back as I see it is the need to remove the radiator for installation or service. Removing the radiator is no big deal. So, if belt tracking is no biggie, that's a plus. The Texas design is simple in it installation as I see it. To service it should be easy. So, the question I ask myself is how reliable are the units? My past experience with distributors is good but those were big 3 units. Any one with experiences with these 2 designs and would care to share them with me, thank you. I'm 85, been T'n for 40 plus years, but never fooled with T Distributors. Ain't T'n fun. I salute you all. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:05 am:

Jerry, I am 77 and run a Texas T Parts distributor on my 26 as it had no ignition parts when I purchased it in 2003, I have never had a problem of any kind except when a wire from the coil came loose, so far very reliable.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:18 am:

The Texas T part distributor is a copy of the Volksbuggen 009 Bosch distributor. It is reliable so long as you keep the bevel gears lubed. The big problem has always been the offshore coils and condensers burning out in a short period of time. Some of this may be no fault of the distributor or the coil or condensers, often people have multiple modifications on their cars and this can lead to lots of unforeseen problems.

The classic problem is when someone installs a cheap battery disconnect switch with the copper plated steel contacts. This can lead to all kinds of electrical component damage. Other common faults are loose alternator / generator / battery / terminal block connections.

Your T's reliability, regardless of what type distributor you use, is often more influenced by your workmanship more than the components.

Between those two choices the T Ranch distributor is the better part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:28 am:

I have some experience with both. I like them both. You may want to get in touch with T Ranch to see if he has a pertronix kit for his, then you wouldn't have to mess with points. I like the TTP unit also but be sure to get a quality coil. That is the weak spot with all of them.

Not sure the reason for going distributor. Many with a failed mag want to go that way but I wouldn't. If the mag doesn't put out, find out why. There is no benefit to a distributor over a correctly set up stock system.

I fixed a mag for a chapter member a few years ago that wasn't working. After opening it up, I realized how lucky I was it didn't come apart driving it on and off the trailer. The warning here is if you have a dead mag, you may have larger problems in the waiting that a distributor won't fix.

Not sure where Royce lives but I suspect if you decided to replace the mag ring and recharge magnets, he would gladly coach you along. Many on this forum have done that same work so you won't be alone.

The attached picture is of a running engine that many were recommending he just add a distributor.
Failed Magnets on Flywheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Except for the early cars that ran coil(s) (not just Ford) or a high tension magneto, most every gas engine has been distributor equipped (points, condenser and coil) up to introduction of electronic ignition.
You will still have to do the initial timing the same way as the Bosch or any of the clip on types.
While I still like the coils right now I am running a vintage Bosch. Comparing the two; with the coils adjusted on a HCCT and all in about the same draw range, my engine does sound a bit more even running the Bosch. I have a touring reground cam, the advanced timing gear and Schebler carb.
Someone said; your experience may very.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Thanks Guys for those gladly revived messages. The reason for going to a distributor is I'm passing my 14 on to my Dentist Son who while having a "general" T knowledge is not to the point where he can fix what needs to be fixed when fix'n time comes around and at 85 I need to do what I can to be sure he'll have a car requiring as little maintenance as possible. It runs well on battery but rough on mag. I get 14v mag volts at fast idle and have Ron.....coils in her. Just think for the long haul a distributor would be just 1 less thing he/I will need to worry about as he takes over. Again, thank you all. I really do need it. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

I understand your reasoning. Would he be able to fix a distributor with stripped gears or trouble shoot a bad coil / condenser? If the answer is no, I would lean towards finding help to get the car 100% health wise with regard to the original coil / timer system. It sounds as if your mag is up to the task. If he will belong to a local chapter there is always plenty of help available for the asking.

I also agree with Royce on the T ranch unit over the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

We are charter members, Space City T's. As time moves on he'll learn. Just trying to do the what I can while there 's time. J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

Thanks for filling us in on your reasons for a distributor, Jerry. It appears to be very sound logic.
You have a choice of 4 different distributors really.
A period correct, restored, vintage bolt on such as an Atwater Kent distributor.
A Model T Ranch item as we've been posting about on your other thread.
A genuine, or reproduction, Bosch Plate distributor,
and the Texas T bolt on distributor.
The Bosch Plate reproduction dizzy and the Texas T item both use Bosch 009 distributor internals. This is the same as used on a VW Beetle, but without the automatic advance mechanism. A VERY reliable item, with easily obtainable and cheap parts.
There is a 5th option, however. Rebuild your magneto and teach your son how to use it so he can teach his son. You've already got the best coils. Original spec counts heaps over mods.
I'm keen to know which route you take. Please keep us informed.
Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob patterson on November 08, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Rob, you're the man. I'll keep you posted. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Rob, you're the man. I'll keep you posted. Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

I would use a distributor but I would eventually have it back to Henry specs if possible. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Quote:

"Thanks for filling us in on your reasons for a distributor, Jerry. It appears to be very sound logic.
You have a choice of 4 different distributors really.
A period correct, restored, vintage bolt on such as an Atwater Kent distributor.
A Model T Ranch item as we've been posting about on your other thread.
A genuine, or reproduction, Bosch Plate distributor,
and the Texas T bolt on distributor.
The Bosch Plate reproduction dizzy and the Texas T item both use Bosch 009 distributor internals. This is the same as used on a VW Beetle, but without the automatic advance mechanism. A VERY reliable item, with easily obtainable and cheap parts.
There is a 5th option, however. Rebuild your magneto and teach your son how to use it so he can teach his son. You've already got the best coils. Original spec counts heaps over mods.
I'm keen to know which route you take. Please keep us informed.
Cheers,
Rob"

Another simple option would be to run a timer with Ford coils on battery.

(Message edited by Ken_Todd on November 10, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration