Coolant System 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coolant System 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

So it seems that after sitting for 10 years + there was actually some biological growth in my water jacket and radiator. I had vinegar in there for probably better than a month which I hope killed it and removed some of the gunk. However looking in the top of my radiator it still looks like the tubes have some clog in them. My question is how can I clean out the radiator? Also looking in my water jacket it appears I have a fair amount of scale and dead vegetation. How can I clean that out? I'm leaning toward running this with out the water pump as Henry intended, but to do this I know the coolant system must be in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Videos on flushing out the radiator and block:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSLn4KeT3do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnOZ2MZt5FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ3nkPm87X0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Thanks again Mark. Will have to watch these links later, but I do appreciate the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

Tom the best way to clean out the cooling system water jackets is to remove the cylinder head and start from there. There will be different opinions for sure but to do a thorough job removing the head and carefully using a 1/4" inch drill to carefully drill out the congested 1/4" holes in the head and in the block is the sure way to clean out those passages. This is important for good water circulation.
While the head is off you can use a screwdriver, a speedometer cable in a hand drill or something similar to get the scale out of the block and head. After nearly 90 years there is a LOT of scale that can build up.

If your not in a big hurry, letting the block and head dry out and then using compressed air will help remove the scale. I found flushing the block does help but doesn't always get the heavy scale out.
Opinions will vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

I put a 30 inch gas range in my shop it will easily heat to 600 or more degrees' depending on self clean or not. It turns the water jackets and oil soaked iron to powder. Its easy to see why J and M uses a commercial version for there work. Without scale and oil the block has to be blasted but the media does not load so it lasts longer. You do need an exhaust fan for the smoke from the oven. A-T block just fits and many other T parts as well with out lots of gas use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

My brain is dead from watching to much election results. My post above was rebuilding---If my intent was to clean the water jackets then I would cap off the inlet put the outlet back on and fill with vinegar for a dew days and use johns post to see how much crud comes out. Bet its a bunch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

If you soak it in acetone you will remove all the paint, but you will also remove a vast majority of any organic compounds, grease, and oil that might be in there. Then flush it out with plenty of water.

Paul is also correct in using a self cleaning oven.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Mark, you should have your own auto repair show on MPR. By the way, by your first video, you must not be married?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:37 am:

Not my videos, they are done by our own dauntless geezer, Steve Jelf. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

I have my heads BACKED. They bake them at a high temp. and it cooks the rust loose. They come back looking like they were just cast. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Wrong spelling.... BAKED

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration