What nuts do I use on a 1914 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What nuts do I use on a 1914 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig E. Luton on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

I am seeking information on the mounting bolts for a 1914 Ford roadster dash and tail light
1/ Do I use square nuts without lock washers for the dash to frame brackets?
2/ Do I use square nuts without lock washers for the side light brackets?
3/ Do I use square nuts without lock washers for the tail light bracket?
I am trying to be as authentic as possible. Thank you ahead for your answers
Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

1. Yes
2. Brass plated steel hex nuts I believe 9/16" wrench size with flat washers
3. Yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Craig,
I researched those very questions when I restored my '14 runabout several years ago. Here's what I considered original:
1. If you're referring to the 3/8" bolts (2 per side) that fasten the forged dash brackets to the frame, I felt it correct to use hex bolts and hex nuts without lock washers (not invented yet).
2. Yes
3. Yes. use flat washers on both these locations.. I cannot find my copy of 'Ford Methods and the Ford Shops' but I remember reading a 1915 statement from an assembly line manager stating square nuts were used when bolts passed through wood. They were either 1/4" or 5/16" thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:58 am:

The dash to frame brackets on a '14 take two 3/8-24 bolts drilled for cotter pins, and use a castellated nut and cotter pin. By 1914, they were most likely using the castle nuts with the rounded bottoms. I agree with Royce on the side light bracket nuts, in fact, it's a little faint, but my bolts for the side light brackets appear to have been brass plated too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Lawrence - Nevada City, CA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

George,
I just wanted to correct your statement about lock washers not being invented yet in 1914. The lock washer was invented Thomas Shaw of Philadelphia, PA and patented on April 28, 1868. The patent number is 77326.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 10:40 am:

This is a zoom in on a photo of the hardware on a new 1914 touring taken in the Ford executive garage at the Highland Park plant in mid calendar year 1914. As you can see all the dash nuts are brass plated. The cowl lamp nuts are either 9/16" or 19/32 wrench size on the 5/16" carriage bolts.

Photo property of the Benson Ford Archive used here under my license.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

THREADED NUTS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Royce: That photo is one of my favorites. The detail is fantastic! It must be a pretty early '14 too with the speedometer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Larry I suspect it is the same car that Ford used for a variety of publicity photos in the beginning of 1914 model year. This is probably the same car:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Notice that the windshield hardware is black painted, except the screws, which are brass plated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Interesting feature of the coil box... the paint is very flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig E. Luton on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Thank you. What about the bolts for the side lite brackets, they look like they are brass plated also.
Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 07:23 am:

Craig,

Correct, most of the dash hardware was brass plated steel. Exceptions are the speedometer mounting screws and coil box mounting bolts which are raven finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

The dash board appears to be painted black on this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Thank you - again - Royce. I learn something new on this Forum everyday. I now have my work cut out for me. Blessed Thanksgiving to all !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration