Cowl Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cowl Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Working on a 23 Runabout with a low cowl. How do I remove the cowl from the rest of the body? I have removed the firewall, windshield and dash but I can't determine how the cowl is fastened to the wood frame and body sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Top and or sides? The top should lift off after the windshield, dash and firewall are removed. The drivers side panel is of course one piece and is nailed to the wood frame work. The passenger side cowl panel may be split under door or not and is nailed in place.
On the cowl, look for any nails or screws that may have been added over the years. Look on the occupant side at the wood frame work then check on the engine side to see if there are nay extra fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Mark, I'm trying to remove the top of the cowl. It appears to be fastened to the wood frame but the nails/screws are not visible. I just don't want to damage anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Been a while since removing one, but its a chore.

The cowl is somewhat crimped at the curve to the side panels, and at the front are rivets. Seem to recall having to twist the cowl and side panels apart to separate. After removing wood.

Maybe these forum posted photos will help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

there are 6 rivets
One behind/underneath each windshield post (goes through the cowl and side panel, into a heavy steel bracket inside). Two rivets are in front, going into the same bracket (the bracket is a reinforcing piece that goes directly behind the cowl/side overlap seam and is bent at a 90 degree angle to face the front of the car).

Dan's picture shows one each of the front rivets removed (the holes that look wet) and picture below that one shows two rivets (sort of diagonal to each other) on the passenger side front.

Carefully drilling them out will allow you to remove the cowl.

On another note, you'd better have a really good reason to get to this stage as you are getting into a real commitment here. Feel free to ask privately for pix of this process

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration