A "tool" to help install original metal stems in tubes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A "tool" to help install original metal stems in tubes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

I've installed a number of metal stems in both Model T and Model A tires. One thing that usually was a problem was removing the brass part of the rubber stem tube with a nice clean opening. A couple tubes I've done had stems that easily twisted out and left a nice opening (I wouldn't want to use those tubes with rubber stems in a Model T!).

But most don't come out easily and it is easy to either tear a jagged opening or cut a jagged opening with a knife. The jagged opening isn't good because it is easy to tear the tube when putting in the stem or maybe later it is a place for it to fail.

Recently I tried using a piece of brass tubing to cut around the stem and thought it worked really well - it left a nice clean opening. It was a piece of 5/16" tubing because that is what was laying around but maybe a 1/4" tube would work better in some cases.

I'm surprised by the number of people that are interested in how to install metal stems based on the number of hits to a webpage I made a while ago to show how it can be done (http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/) so I hope that the tubing idea will be helpful.
metal stem 1
metal stem 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:03 pm:

Great idea, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

Thank you. I will be doing that to all 4 of my tubes soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 11:24 am:

A hole punch chucked in a 1/2" drill works real good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

John, thanks for the like to your web page. It's now bookmarked on my computer as I will need the info just as soon as I get all the parts needed found. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

I'm not really looking forward to doing the conversion to metal stems on all 4 of my tubes. My tires and tubes are all new but have rubber stems and the two fronts are flat. I will get it done though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:06 am:

The link above is the best I've ever seen! I've been doing it that way for years, even before I saw the article. T's use a Schrader 777, but I get by with an 888 which is 1/4" shorter. Dill and Bridgeport also made these. There are at least three or four styles of bridge washers, but they all do the same thing. Make sure you get the small size, not the Pierce Arrow size!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration