I've installed a number of metal stems in both Model T and Model A tires. One thing that usually was a problem was removing the brass part of the rubber stem tube with a nice clean opening. A couple tubes I've done had stems that easily twisted out and left a nice opening (I wouldn't want to use those tubes with rubber stems in a Model T!).
But most don't come out easily and it is easy to either tear a jagged opening or cut a jagged opening with a knife. The jagged opening isn't good because it is easy to tear the tube when putting in the stem or maybe later it is a place for it to fail.
Recently I tried using a piece of brass tubing to cut around the stem and thought it worked really well - it left a nice clean opening. It was a piece of 5/16" tubing because that is what was laying around but maybe a 1/4" tube would work better in some cases.
I'm surprised by the number of people that are interested in how to install metal stems based on the number of hits to a webpage I made a while ago to show how it can be done (http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/) so I hope that the tubing idea will be helpful.
Great idea, thanks!
Thank you. I will be doing that to all 4 of my tubes soon.
A hole punch chucked in a 1/2" drill works real good too.
John, thanks for the like to your web page. It's now bookmarked on my computer as I will need the info just as soon as I get all the parts needed found. Thanks
I'm not really looking forward to doing the conversion to metal stems on all 4 of my tubes. My tires and tubes are all new but have rubber stems and the two fronts are flat. I will get it done though.
The link above is the best I've ever seen! I've been doing it that way for years, even before I saw the article. T's use a Schrader 777, but I get by with an 888 which is 1/4" shorter. Dill and Bridgeport also made these. There are at least three or four styles of bridge washers, but they all do the same thing. Make sure you get the small size, not the Pierce Arrow size!