Old Photo - Two Guys Changing a Tire

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Two Guys Changing a Tire
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 01:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:43 am:

That front Firestone has seen a lot of miles. Was this some kind of fraternity drill?
Rich

I just noticed the lower radiator trim doesn't match the year of the fenders. I would think the larger radiator apron was designed to go with the fender lip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Richard,

I wish this photo was coming off the assembly line. As you observed it has the newer 1924 style lipped front fenders. But it also has the earlier style 1917-1922 radiator shell with the thin lower piece.

Since it is "used car" by the time the photo was taken, we don't know if the right front fender was replaced or the radiator shell was replaced or if just perchance one of the Ford factories used up the last of the older style radiator shells with the new style front fender.

Anyone have a photo of a "new" or "nearly new" late 1922 or early 1923 with the old style radiator apron and new style lipped front fenders?

Note also that the person by the rear tire. He has the tire partially pried off at the top of the wheel. Yet there is a spare tire on what appears to be a demountable rim just to the right of him.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:31 am:

i think they had two flats on that side the other tire and rim is out of site and they had a spare ti re that he is putting on the rear. maybe!!!!!. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:08 am:

I really enjoy these old pictures. What are those straps on the wrist of the feller in front ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Where is the blade on his beanie cap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Notice how worn the tires are? I think they are putting on new tires and using the rear wheel to mount the tires on the car. Then it will be switched to the front wheel. and the rim from the front wheel will be installed on the rear to replace that tire. Easier to do than laying them on the ground.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

that could be but that frt tire has got a lot of miles in it yet.and where is the spare rim??? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Are we not looking at a mix of wheel types here? The rear guy appears to be pulling the tire off a non-D wheel. There doesn't seem to be lugs there while their obvious in front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

good point but there could be one in frt of his left knee hard to tell. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

The wrist straps are two watches. They live in Tennessee and in the middle of the state two time zones. One watch for each time zone. You will notice the lug right at the left knee of the guy changing the tire on the rim. He will install the new rim and tire at his right either on the front then install another new one on the rear wheel.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Rich,

My uncle was a butcher and wore leather straps on his wrists like those. I don't know if that is what they are but something I remember when I was little.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Lawson-Kingston,TN on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

They are not in Tennessee. The license plate says Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 03:55 am:

I'd say that the later fender was installed on an earlier car, probably because of an accident. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:38 am:

All I know that it's been a day and a half and those two guys STILL don't have the tires changed!

The fellow at the front looks like he is just checking tire pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Same thing! The western part of Texas has an area of Mountain time and the rest is on Central time.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:33 am:

The guy needs two watches to know that one time zone is an hour different from the other? :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:57 am:

I met a German girl in England who was going to school in France .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Looks like the Mormon boys I see out on mission. And from my experience,
they'd offer to dive right in a do something like this for people they meet. Had
a pair coming around the neighborhood a few years ago that wanted to wreck
their nice clothes digging and screening and sorting gravel ! Had to decline
their offers a dozen times.

What I wonder is, seeing the beanie cap (sans propeller) here, WAS there ever
a time when those were "fashionable", and secondly, is this the appropriate
clothing with which to wear one's fashionable beanie ? I would hate to wear
my beanie in an unfashionably mis-matched way. Such an embarrassment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Yeah, fraternity hazing at its zenith! :-)

Wearing a freshman beanie and two watches; one watch set at the time "Hell Week" starts. The other set at the time it ends....problem is that both watches continue to run....

Hell Week never ends for a neophyte, you know...thank you sir, may I have another?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration