Newbee Headlight Question. What do I need to make operational?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Newbee Headlight Question. What do I need to make operational?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Can post photos if needed, but just need some direction at this point in time. Got two headlights for my WWI patrol vehicle project. They look similar to each other and match, but I have learned that one is two slot socket and one is single socket. All I have are the buckets, reflectors, rings and glass. Nothing electrical.

So, if I want to make them operational while I am installing terminal block and wiring, what do I need to complete. Presume I need...

some sort of "boots" or whatever they are called to make a wiring connection to the bulb socket. Straight or elbow style. Bulbs, can I leave the one single slot socket alone and the two slot socket alone and just get two different bulbs? Some sort of wiring harness from headlights to terminal block and some sort of switch.

Am I close?

It will be the appearance of a 1915, although, in reality, it will be Model T salad. The headlight buckets are not brass or the fork type, but "bell" shaped steel.

Any direction greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:51 am:

These will give you double contacts.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/6574X.aspx
Wiring is straight forward 2 pole switch usually incorporated with the ignition switch one pole for dim one for bright as shown in this link
https://www.modeltford.com/item/5012.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Depends on how you power the lights. Magneto - 2 contact. Battery/geneerator - single contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Ah, ha.... good point. I haven't started this engine up yet, so don't know if mags work or not. So I should go with the single contact bulbs off the battery so that I've got, at least, something. The light switch I have is single position as well, so no brights.

So I'll proceed down the path of single contact bulbs and parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Single contact sockets need a good ground.

Double contact sockets for the magneto do not need the ground. The two lamps are wired in series: Right light gets power from magneto through the headlight switch. Then, the other contact is wired across to the left light. Then second contact on the left light goes to a frame ground. The wire between the lights is in a brass tube on the backside of the radiator.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration