Newbe question. Is this a crack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Newbe question. Is this a crack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

I had posted this picture in the "what have you done in Nov" thread and now that I look at the picture it looks as it there is a crack on the front of the engine just below the water pump. Or is that how it supposed to look?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:26 pm:

My '24 has what appears to be a forging or casting flash line there, if yours doesn't leak I suspect that is what yours is also.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:29 pm:

Hope so thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Yes, there is a casting seam there. But in both your pictures it also looks to me like there might be a crack. I would certainly examine both engines closely and not just go by the photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

An I was having such a good day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

What can it hurt? It's not going to split apart if it is cracked there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Run the car, If it leaks than you have a crack, If not then it's a molding seem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Whatever it is, it's not leaking. Don't worry about it. Most likely just the casting seam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

If anything leaks out from that area it will be oil, and if it has been running much recently I would not expect it to be so clean if there was a crack there. I think the lighting angle is making a very dark shadow on the other side of that seam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Looks like a parting line from when the block was cast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Robert, the engine in my coupe has the same defect there. It's probably ok.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

Thanks for all your input. Hope that all is ok. Time will tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:48 pm:

Looks like casing flash or a seem. I have a carb with a place like that on a NH carb. I think someone said it should be fine. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Ok here is mine on a 26.
Dave
Casting line

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration