Photo - Remer, Minnesota School Busses

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Photo - Remer, Minnesota School Busses
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:08 am:

With all the school buses we see from the period it kinda puts that myth to bed of how ol' Dad & Mom had to walk miles and miles to school everyday up hill both ways don't it. :-)

Thanks for posting this great picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Dennis; that was for the "Rich" northern schools. Mom used to tell me about hitching a ride on the turpentine wagons in South Ga.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:20 am:

We walked uphill in the snow both ways. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Oh wait. We were in San Jose, CA. No snow. No hills either. Well, we did walk. :-)

What do you suppose that last rig on the far right of the photo is? It's not a TT like the rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:32 am:

And, there were certain roads in about every district that was not an 'all weather 'road. If you lived on one of these, like my mother did, you had to walk to the next 'good ' crossroad,to get picked up. Even then, some mornings (and evenings) the 'kid hack' wound up behind a team of horses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:23 am:

I think what you are looking at is high school of a consolidated or unified school rural district. They were established for students pursuing their education past the 8th grade level by their respective elementary districts. Back then, education past the 8th grade wasn't mandatory or taken as a given. Particularly in rural districts, students seldom progressed past the 8th grade. Jim is right, the buses went to collecting points to pick up and drop off students. By the looks of things, the ride in between was kinda crowded...and uncomfortable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:37 am:

I didn't mind so much having to tunnel through a mile of snow to get to school every morning. It was walking back home in the blazing hot sun wearing galoshes and a wool coat that was tough !

Seriously, standing at the bus stop in Buffalo, NY wasn't much fun, especially if the wind was blowing.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Dick
You mean they didn't cancel school if the weather was bad??? How in the world did you ever survive childhood???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Myers on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

My Mother was born and raised in Remer Minnesota. She was born in 1928 and my Grandfather drove school bus for the Remer school from about 1925 to 1930. He is standing 3rd from the right and his name is Sid Myers. My Grandfather was born in the rural Remer area 1895. In Fact My mother may be on one of the Busses! I would like to find out where I can buy or get a copy of that picture.
any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Dallas,

I guess the school officials didn't consider the weather "bad" enough to cancel classes. Evidently it was what Buffalo natives call normal.

What saved me was that my Dad's next job assignment was in southern California. Seemed like a climate paradise to me. The first year in CA my Mother tried to get me to wear a jacket to school. I kept telling her I'd wear a jacket when winter came. Somehow winter never arrived. Short sleeves feel fine at 30F after being in Buffalo. Now, the next winter in CA, I did feel the need for a jacket. Must take just about a year to become a wimp.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Randy,

I would try Minnesota Reflections. It is a website with lots of old photos. Search for Remer, i would think it would pop right up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Randy -

It's a "real photo postcard" on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remer-Minnesota-Transportation-Dept-Consolidated-School- RPPC-/162271982226?hash=item25c829f292:g:X4cAAOSwImRYH0wW

Zero bids - listing is a little rich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

My dad was raised on a cattle ranch in the Ruby Hills in Nevada. When he went to high school, his family had to rent a room in a boarding house in Elko, where he would stay during the week for school (the nearest high school). One way, each and every week (of school), he rode into or out of town on the mail truck. His being able to attend high school was a big deal for the family.
Those sort of sacrifices for the good of the family need to be remembered.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Define "bad weather". Every year around Spokanistan, I put on a jacket as the
weather starts to get cold (right about now) and after we get our usual 3-4 weeks
of 0-to-20 degree temps, I am typically back to running around in a T-shirt, even
though it is barely above freezing all day long. Odd how it feels perfectly "warm"
after that cold, yet just a month or two earlier I was feeling cold at those temps !

I swear, NOTHING was as cold as AFG ! Walking a half-mile to the unheated
showers (the water was thankfully hot), one could not dry off and get their PT's
on fast enough. I was told we were at 13,000 feet at that camp. DAMN, it was
cold ! Other times we'd shower in the open LZ on the rocks under a four head
standpipe. The the water was straight from the river and froze on the rocks. It
was cold as hell, but not as bad as the aforementioned gig. I have no trouble
taking a 60 second shower after that experience.

In the summers, one just put their gear back on without toweling off. The evap
was our only relief from the hellacious heat.

Photo taken at 0800 at the front gate, Camp Dwyer, summer 2011:

By 1200 it would take an oven thermometer to tell you how hot it was. Nights
cooled off to a balmy 110 or so. I will never complain about "bad weather" again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration