Respoking a wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Respoking a wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Trumpy on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

I have built a spoke press and have 12 new spokes from Langs. The holes in the metal felloe measure .502 +/- .002. The tenons on the spokes measure .540. This is about .040 interference fit which seems much to me. I realize there should be some press fit to keep the spokes tight but how much is enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Ever since you got elected President the stock market has taken a dive! I am not happy......

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:43 am:

A dive??? Where are you getting your information...Dow up 256 pts., Nasdaq up 57 and S&P up 27 yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Willis/Tim,

Sorry Don is a good friend and excellent Model T restorer. The political funnies are not appreciated.

Any thoughts on the tenon size for the spokes?
We think they should just be turned down some but has anyone out there experienced the same issue.
I know Steve Jelf and others often here on the forum have used the wheel spoke press with great success. Don just wants to be sure we are not missing anything.

Helpful comments appreciated.
Larry Bohlen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:07 am:

I believe they manufactured different spokes for different wheel types. I think Kelsey and Hayes used different spokes and the tenons were different diameters for the different manufactures. You may want to check your wheel manufacture to make sure you got the correct spokes to start with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:09 am:

You also may want to make sure you didn't get TT spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Model T steel felloes were made by different companies. If I remember there are two different size tenon holes that I've found on the felloes that I've had.
The spokes used to be offered by the vendors in two tenon sizes. Not sure if they do that anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:46 am:

The two tenon sizes offered are 1/2 inch and 5/8 inch.

FWIW, I measured the spoke holes in my Kelsey felloes enough to know that I needed the 1/2 inch tenon spokes. Per the instructions on the Lang's site, I ordered the 1/32 inch longer spokes.

They pressed in just fine without any dressing of the tenons. I was careful to keep the sealer and stain off of the tenons and mating surfaces of the spokes. :-)

wheels

(Message edited by cudaman on November 10, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:52 am:

Standard nominal tenon sizes are 1/2" and 5/8" (.500" and .625"). But they're made slightly oversize to compress into the felloe. The tenon on my spare Stutzman spoke measures .522", but that includes paint. My guess is that without the paint it would be about .510" to .515". I don't know what to say about the .540".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Maybe this helps, from an earlier post on the subject of the 1/2" tenon spokes:
I talked to Dave at Langs today who had a Ford spoke drawing to consult. The tenon diameter was specified as 17/32 - 35/64 which to 3 places would be .531-.547.

From a post by John Reagan in 2015:

The tenon for the so-called 1/2" tenon is oversize until pressed together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Just to confirm. I too have the factory drawing for the spokes and made my own before Don Lang started making them. He sent me some of his earliest ones to check out and I found them THEN to be right on the money. I do not continue to monitor them for Lang's but have no reason to suspect that they have lost the formula. The ones I made for my own car were .543 nominally and varied only a few thousandths from that for all 48 spokes. Once you press the spokes into the wheel they will be very very tight. If you then disassemble the wheel and put it back together they will no longer be quite as tight. Thus I suggest you make sure that all parts are correct and all spokes lined up perfectly so that your wheel press is used only once per wheel. The hub should NOT be loose in the hub either. It should also be very tight and difficult to turn so line up the holes before you start to press things together so that you only have to make minor correction to get the spoke seams lined up for bolt hole drilling. Hope your wheels turn out nice - mine did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Be sure that the chamfer on the base of the spoke faces the hub flange, it is easy in the heat of the moment while placing spokes to get one upside down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Mark that's a beautiful set of wheels. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration