Question about rocky mountain brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question about rocky mountain brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe macintosh on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:19 am:

What happens with the transmission brake band if using rocky mountain brakes??
Is the band removed from the transmission,disconected or adjusted to work along with the rocky mountain brakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Rockies, AC's, and other accessory brakes are connected to the brake pedal. Transmission and accessory brakes work together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:07 am:

I have my ACs adjusted so that they do all the braking unless I really stomp on the pedal, then the transmission brake comes into play.

If you decide to use an accessory brake pedal and you want to be able to actuate the transmission brake, be sure that it has the cam on it, I have heard that some don't.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Snippet from new RM Brake install instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:21 am:

We had a member of our local club who bought a Model T which had been on display in a Ford dealership for many years. This car had Rocky Mountain brakes but the shoes had been removed from the parking brake and the band removed from the transmission. Our member didn't know the Rocky's were the only brakes on his car. Soon after he bought the car he drove up a steep hill and the engine died. He started rolling backward and although he was able to turn the car around, his car suffered much damage from hitting a parked car and the rear wheels on the curb on the opposite side of the street.

Anyway, it is important that you use the Rocky's as auxiliary brakes and not remove the original brakes. When you adjust things do the parking brake first. It should begin to lock the rear wheels before it engages the rocky brakes. Then when you pull it back one more notch both the parking brake and the rocky brakes are engaged. The foot brake works just the opposite way. Adjust the transmission brake to operate about 1 1/2 inch above the floorboard as you normally would. Then adjust the rod between the pedal and the equalizer to operate about 2 inches above the floorboard. That way your normal stopping will be done by the rocky's but if you either press hard on the pedal or pull on the parking brake, the Ford brakes will operate.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:27 am:

I posted a series of photos this week showing original Rocky Mountains. They used a standard pedal clamp, and so did AC. They both used cables, not rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe macintosh on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

thanks guy's
picked up a 27 motor to replace the one in my roadster and the brake band is missing from it.
thought maybe the car it come out of had rocky mountains on it ,and the band wasn't used.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration