Front end

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front end
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menteer on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:41 am:

I am assembling the front end on my 24 roadster and it seems as if the wishbone is too short, causing the axle to be straight up and down instead of the normal tilt toward the back. This puts a lot of pressure on the ball & socket and also the leaf spring shackles. I have replaced the wishbone and my spring perches are correct left & right. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Try flipping the wishbone. Often the car has a bent frame, sagging frame, or bent engine pan. Sometimes the easiest fix is to bend the wishbone so that you get enough caster in the king pins. Other times you must fix each component.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Because of the tapered nut sockets, I don't think a late style, below-the-axle wishbone will flip like the early one will. Do you have the correct crankcase?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Have you checked to make sure the spring perches are on the correct side? Reverse camber of the front axle would push the bottom of the front axle forward doing what you described.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

David,

This happens sometimes. I believe it's usually related to a front cross member being bent or otherwise distorted. The cross member miss-locates the spring, the spring miss-locates the axle, then the wishbone doesn't fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

Post some pictures, particularly of the front crossmembers area -and-the wishbone socket on the crankcase.
The bad roads of the old days were tough on that part of the crankcase. It was always getting a bust in the guts there. Especially four dip pans. A wonder any of them are good.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration