15 Roadster rear fender irons.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 15 Roadster rear fender irons.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Have the basic body done and painted, ready to attach the rear fender irons. My wood plans do not give positions for the bolt holes. What are the locations for these so I can start mounting fenders. Please don't tell me they use the body mounting bracket bolts, those are under the tin on the deck sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I am not telling you this, but they do use the body mount bolts. The mounts should have square bolt holes for carriage bolts and the nuts are on the outside of the fender irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 11:43 am:

I don't want to tell him the same thing. If the bolt head is on the outside; What you might try is, remove the center drill from a metal cutting hole saw. Find where the bolt head is under the sheet metal and open a hole around the bolt head JUST BIG enough to extract the bolt. Go real slow. Depending on how deep the head was recessed if it was, you might plug the recessed hole and redrill for the bolt. The mounting bracket should cover the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

These are rear of runabout only, all others have round holes:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/688970.html?1478014690
Early ones have rounded shape, not pointed.

Steve: touring tail lamp bracket on your car, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Yep. I have the right bracket and the right lamp, but I haven't got around to putting them on yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

Thanks, guys. Guess I have a bit more work to do, hopefully I won't do something to create even more work for myself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Thanks, Mark. I went to Home Depot and they had a 7/8 hole saw. 3/4 would have worked but the bin was empty. I started with a 3/8 strip of plywood and cut a hole in this, then clamped it in place over the hidden bolt location. The template held the saw from wandering an ruining the paint job. The saw cut down to the bolt head and the bolt tapped out easily. The replacement (longer) carriage bolt slid in place and a washer and nut tightened up, washers then placed to shim up to flush and the fender brace bolted in place with the correct square nut. Looks good with the holes covered and only minor touch up will be needed.
Steve, keep the template idea in your toolbox in case you do one of these bonehead stunts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Fantastic! :-) I didn't even think about making a template, great addition to the process.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration