R-M brake lining

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: R-M brake lining
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fritz Hady Mt. Top,Pa. on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Where do you buy lining for R-M brakes? I am not sure if they are R-M, but the lining is an inch and a quarter wide.I found most of a set of brakes in a parts box,I will fabricate what I am missing and have aux.brakes. Thanks,Fritz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Lang's has it. https://www.modeltford.com/item/RMB-LIN.aspx

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

McMaster Carr about $6 a foot for a woven lining 1-1/4 wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:35 am:

Chaffin's sells "Green Gripper" lining. It is indeed green, and has brass wires woven through it. Works great on my original AC brakes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 10:45 am:

I just measured mine, and the lining is 1 1/2" wide. The correct thickness is 3/16". There was a guy at Hershey that had the old stock stuff for $8 per foot, and I thought it was too much money! Maybe I should have bought some?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

When my grease seal in the rear axle went bad back in 2000 it leaked grease which softened the cast brake lining making the brakes inoperable, I asked Bud Williams about brake lining and got a real shocker of a price so I went to a local brake shop and had the fabric with brass threads riveted to the straps for $60.00 a set which was way less than half of the factory price.

The issue is that Ford drums are pressed steel and the woven lining squeals like the banshees from the Mores of Scotland. The noise scares old ladies and delights small children and folks know when you are stopping for sure. The steel drums get polished by the brass threads and get a bright shiny surface much like chrome plating and that slick surface resonates a wonderful squeal.

The fix is to get cast iron drums or buy the molded lining and not the woven lining with brass which was made for cars with cast iron drums and the truck parking brakes on drive shafts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

I had just the opposite happen with my Rocky's - same squeal with Bud's molded lining so ordered up Green Grabber - nothing changed but my check book balance !!! Squeal is still there !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

I have green gripper linings on my original AC brakes, bearing against the outside of the stock steel drums. So far they don't squeel, just lucky I guess. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration