Cleaning a brass carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cleaning a brass carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 04:44 pm:

I am soaking a 4 ball carburetor in Berrymans with limited success. The stuff I have is about 4 years old. Should I get a new can or should I be using something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

Soaked mine in Muriatic acid for 30-45 seconds. Here's the slide show showing how it turned out. https://youtu.be/3NSAJqp7N9g

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Thank you, Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

Anybody know of a spray I could use to clean the outside without taking the carb off? The rest of the engine brass is pretty clean/polished. It makes the carb look bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Flitz instant brass tarnish remover. You need to clean with carb cleaner and brake kleen to get all the oily residue off. And kill the Flitz with a water spray. Stuff works very well but is expensive. Check it out online. Youtube etc.
Really neat stuff to start a brass cleaning project.
Results are instant and you feel like you are making progress. Marine stores carry it around here. Can probably order online at O'reilleys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Bolz on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:38 am:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=flitz+instant+brass+cleaner

Try these videos and sources. Seems my marine store has quite the mark-up! Still a fun product because it actually works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Thanks! I never knew Flitz had a spray.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration