Muffler mounting hardware

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Muffler mounting hardware
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Mounting a muffler and system to my 1915 frame. Muffler and pipes came off speedster donor car, so don't know how accurate to the frame they are. I ordered the bolk kit and a clamp from Langs and they arrived today. "normal" muffler C flamp and two bolts with castle nuts and pins. The clamp is self explanatory, but my mounting bracket on the rear of the muffler has only one hole in it and a corresponding hole in the frame line up. Although there is a hole in the top of the frame rail exactly over this bottom home and I don't see why a bolt would need to go through the two top and bottom rails of the frame. And I don't see where a second bolt and nut would go.

There is a hold in the frame right at the front of the muffler where the clamp is attached to the exhaust pipe, but nothing on the muffler or pipe to attach to. No type of leather or rubber strap type mount makes sense to me at that location as the end of the muffle is hard mounted to the frame. So nothing "moves".

Where does this second bolt go? If anywhere. I can post photos if needed. But it may be something simple. Or I got a free extra bolt.

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

Don't know what muffler you have at this point but am guessing it's the replacement style single bolt mount tab. If you ordered the 15 kit, the correct muffler would have had mounting bolts at both ends to mount the cast iron ends.
Even my frame (1921) has the mounting holes top and bottom for the muffler. The early T's had pressed steel brackets at each end of the muffler that mounted in the C of the frame, top and bottom. Look it up.
By the way, not a free bolt, you bought the wrong kit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration