Replacing Plate Glass Windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Replacing Plate Glass Windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

I am assuming that most states prohibit using original plate glass in the windshield. Been looking at the vendors that sell the channel that beds the safety glass in the frame. They are so expensive. Are there cheaper alternatives?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

If the brass channel is good in yours, just reuse. Maybe not states, but most every club prohibits plate glass in the windshield and side windows. Some may be a little more lax in checking then others. Good idea to change it out, my and many others OP, it's just plain stupid to drive with plate glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

I took my frames to the local glass shop in Hillsboro, MO (population 2635) and let them replace the plate glass with laminated glass using my existing channels. They did a great job for around 100 bucks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

I would like to do mine however I seem to remember that today's glass is slightly smaller in thickness measurement making it loose in the original channel. Is this still correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:02 pm:

The new glass is, as1 and as2, as2 is thicker If I remember right, as1 for side or rear glass, as2 is for windshields by law. Check it out, glass for my coupe, all seven pieces was just $250.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

There was a reason Henry Ford changed to safety glass for the second Model A's windshield. There was an accident on the test track where the test driver went through the plate glass windshield. Henry heard about the accident and resulting injuries and decreed use of safety glass only in the windshields.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Every state may have their own variation of the law.
The Province of Ontario states " IF the glass has been changed, that replacement must be of safety glass"

Your insurance company or club affiliation may insist on safety type glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

I think speedway is cheaper, still its 200 bucks.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1915-22-Ford-Model-T-Brass-Glass-Setting-Channel-f or-Open-Cars,39102.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

I changed it in my A models because I drive them a lot and the new glass looks good. I put it in my 26 rpu because it was busted anyway. I think most glass shops will cut from a pattern at a better price. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

I had a flat glass guy cut and install mine. Was cheaper than at the automobile glass place

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

When a shard slices through your eyeball and pierces your brain it's very disappointing. Change it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Mark, I agree that the channel is very expensive. I took my 1914 windshield to a local glass place and they replace it with safety glass using a thicker channel. Can't tell the difference between the old channel (unusable)and the replacement.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration