26/27 fan misalignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26/27 fan misalignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

The 26/27 engine I was working on this afternoon had the head mounted fan bracket and it located the fan about 5/8"ahead of the bottom pulley. Is there more than one
26/27 fan mounting bracket?
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

Did you have a Reader aluminum head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

Jerry, it's a std. Ford head. Thanks for your reply.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Lee there are two different pulleys for 26-27. A long one and a short one. You may have a mis-match of the different assembly parts. Im not at home at this time to look at my parts stash, and take pictures. Maybe someone else can look and have pictures. I believe the pulley is in the same position on the long or short one, and they just made the "snout" part of the pulley longer to move the fan blade forward. So it may not be the pulleys, but it is worth a "look and see".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:55 am:

I had the same problem. My '26 engine fan has a shorter pulley arrangement and I was trying to install a better looking fan and pulley from my '27 engine. Don't know if there was a design change, but ran into the same problem you mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Here is a photo of the p/n 3963C 'long' length fan drive pulley.

(lower pulley in photo, upper is modern sealed pulley)

That long one was used late '26 for the narrow or thin core radiator to place the fan closer to the core.

The normal late '25-'26 fan pulley p/n 3962B for the Improved Car is shorter.

Of course there are two fan brackets too, the first version with bolt and nut for adjusting belt tightness the improved version with the eccentric cam for adjusting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw Richmond Va. on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Does the eccentric allow for fore and aft movement? I have the "short" casting but I am too far forward.
Thanks for your responce.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

No adjustment fore and aft.

But, maybe the wrong parts are mixed?

The fan shaft is the later 3966C design with the sq. end for wrench to adj. the fan bushing tightness.

Or maybe the fan blade assembly is wrong, or perhaps the fan blade pitch is set wrong from damage. Also, too thick a radiator core due to modern replacement can affect spacing.

Lower shaft is '26-'27

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Lee
There was also an early 1926 fan hub adjuster.
Here is a photo of the original three and five row radiator fan hubs.
Also be sure to check the fan itself for cracks which can cause serious damage if a blade launches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration