Road sign maintenance California-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Road sign maintenance California-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Given the distance to Tracy, Stockton and Sacramento, I'd say that photo was taken somewhere in or near Manteca, CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:46 am:

Is that Mack? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Would this vehicle be yellow with black trim ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 11:10 am:

I have read that before AAA put up road signs there were none on any of the roads & highways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Note that the "L" irons and saddles have been removed. That top is never folded down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 11:19 am:

There's a few marks in the left sky area but that is one crystal clear photo. Glass negative?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Aaron, while there would be plenty of exceptions, in the main, prior to
automobiles and "better roads", few people did long distance travel by
road. This was the domain of the railroad in the 19th century. And when
people DID travel by road, it was a town-to-town, asking along the way
for directions kind of thing. But by-and-large, most people did not travel
very far from home to where road signs were needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 12:59 am:

The negative could be glass, or it could be film. The short depth of field indicates it was shot with a large format camera. A big negative made with the high quality lens of a large format camera makes for a sharp photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 06:37 am:

See the fittings along the sides for carrying the posts. Must have had to climb over them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

I'll bet it was taken in Galt. The original Lincoln Hwy. went through there. Notice Lincoln Highway at the top of the sign. That sign would bring big bucks now days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Larry,
It must be further south than Galt. It's only 27 miles from Galt to Sacramento, not the 75 miles indicated on the sign.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

1918 Fireman's Fund Map Book page 35.
With 20 miles between Tracy and Stockton, this sign would be 5 miles west of Tracy at the Y to Bethany. The double line is the main highway ( Lincoln Hwy).
Henry.. I don't find Manteca on the map!!!

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Hahaha. I don't know the history of Manteca, but I suppose it was a latecomer to the map.

Actually, look closer at the map you posted. Manteca is shown near the lower right corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

I had heard that the original name was spelled Monteca. The name was apparently misspelled on a train ticket or schedule as Manteca. Spanish for lard. I wonder what Monteca meant?

manteca

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

I think Layden has the location just about nailed.

tracy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Dang! Tools of the trade have not changed much at all. The steel bar, myself and my supervisor had accidents involving those and we were told to make them disappear. So it is on the back of the barn. :-)
When I went to work for NCDOT in 1992 the wood post was giving way to the metal uchannel post that was designed to break away when hit. So sledge hammers or our Hydraulic post drivers and pullers became the tool of the trade. Only time we used the hand diggers were for the historical markers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

Who knew that 90 years later the updated freeway route through this area (205 & 580 just below the highlighted Lincoln Highway) would become a parking lot? For those of you unfamiliar with the area, that location is a TERRIBLE commute, packed to a standstill pretty much every morning. I'm soooo glad I'm retired and don't need to mess with it anymore!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration