Rayfield carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rayfield carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

I have a Rayfield carb I would like to run on my speedster.

I have a couple of questions I am hoping to get some help with. I haven't had any luck getting someone to work on it for me. In the picture below, there is a port on the side with the letters "F S" below it. If I take the screw out there is a spring inside, but looks like there should be another part in the bottom of that hole. Can anyone tell me what goes there? I can make whatever it needs.

On top, right behind the throttle lever and plate, there is an arm that looks like it connects to a cable. That arm turns a cam on top of the carb that rotates to open a jet inside. There is a screw to adjust the tension against the cam. You can see the large brass adjusting screw in the picture below. What does it do, and does it require a cable run to the inside of the car?

I understand the use of the "tickler" on top of the float bowl to flood the carb for cold staring. It will need a cable control inside the car.

Any help I can get, plus any feedback on this carb would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

The scalloped knob is the mixture/choke adjustment. The piece the end runs against is an eccentric. As it turns it richens or leans the mixture and changes the idle speed. The F/S adjustment appears correct to me. When the "choke" is turned to starting position the arm presses against the rod that sticks out opposite the F/S end. There is an internal spring. The arm presses against that spring and changes the idle mixture for cold weather running and correct mixture.

The air valve is also controlling the mixture. That is the cone in the air inlet, which adjusts the mixture as engine demand changes.

By the way, the air inlet is on upside down.

If you take it completely apart, make sure you take a lot of photos of where everything goes. They can be pretty confusing.

This carb was replaced with the Rayfield UF -- much simpler and better carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Yes, take lots of pictures and please send a copy of them to me, this looks like a fascinating drawing project...Carburetors are so fun to draw, especially these complicated racing ones. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration