Prelube for my fresh engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Prelube for my fresh engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

The engine in my '21 Touring has been rebuilt but has not been cranked yet. The rebuild was done by a previous owner. I don't know how long it has been done. I have the inspection plate off right now. There was a little bit of oil of some kind in each of the three dips when I took it down. I guess it was the prelube oil that had drained down. I wonder if I should do any prelube before starting it? I will put a little oil in the sparkplug holes , and put something on the cam lobes and squirt some on the crank and cam gears. What else should I do in case it has been a long time since the engine was assembled? I am not experienced with engines that have no oil pump and cannot be "primed" with oil pressure before cranking. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

If it's been awhile since the car has been run, Dump out the oil and pour the new over bands. 1gal. The engine throws so much oil it will only take a moment for the oil to reach everything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Ok, I will pour some of the oil in thru the hogshead inspection plate, over the bands instead of just pouring it in the engine oil fill spout. What else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Drag it down the driveway in high gear if you want to lube everything without the stress of combustion on the bearings. Or just start it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I'll bet that Ford just started it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

I think I saw an early motion picture (now on video) that showed the Ford Motor Company placing the motor to an electric motor and "running" it in before they fired them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Change oil, maybe shoot a little oil into each cylinder and fire the sucker up. Stay at low RPM for a while. Open the needle on the carb about 1 to 1 1/4 to start, and then turn the valve for smooth running.

Have fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

That's why I suggested he take it down the driveway. My grandfather used to tow his customers cars around the block first but that was to start them after building them with the scrape and pray method of fitting the bearings. Too tight to crank so he'd have someone drag him up the street and pop the clutch (key on). I spun all my customers engines with a motor before assembling. Timesaver slurry on the bearings until there is 100% match between babbit and journal with 0.0015 clearance. Most you could hand crank the first time (like the fire car that had no starter). It's a pain in the A that takes hours but it gives you a perfect fit that last a LONG time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Since you have the inspection plate off, (I presume the one under the crankcase) you can use a pump oil can and shoot a little oil on the bearings. The mains and the rods have an oil hole at the top and if you can aim in that direction, the oil will flow into the bearings. Then take off the transmission plate and pour some over the bands. Pull out the spark plugs and put a few drops in each cylinder. Pour oil into the regular oil filler location which will put oil into the dips. It should be enough to oil everything until you get the engine started. Then just start it up (maybe you will need to pull start it) Let it run about a minute and turn it off. That will allow the oil which is in the inside oil line drain down into the engine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Thanks Norman. Yes the bottom plate is still off and the transmission plate will be off as I have an oil screen ordered to install before the engine is started. Your recommendations were exactly what I was looking for and am planning to do. I needed some reinforcement. I want to do all I can so my engine will start and run another 95 years. Maybe my great grandson can be driving it then. My oldest grandson , age 8, has already figured out that the '21 will be over 100 years old by the time he is driving and is looking forward to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Make sure not to put to much oil in the cylinders. If you do you could bend a rod if you start it. Just turn it over several times with the plugs out to get rid of the oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 11:57 pm:

Actually, if you're turning it over to get things "settled in", Richard's idea is best--pull the plugs, that will put less stress on the bearings etc. Just don't let the plug openings attract anything solid into the combustion chambers!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration