Rod bearing wear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rod bearing wear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

I've read this forum so much it made me nervous so I thought I'd take a look at my rods. There seems to be a knock at higher speed, around 30-35. It doesn't do it if you just rev it up sitting still. The rods slide back and forth quite a bit it seems. I put a piece of newspaper in and the crank still moves but the rod didn't seem loose but maybe it could be a little tighter. Maybe it could be twisted? Maybe I should have not worried about it. Here are pics of rod number 2. Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Number one rod doesn't look like that. It has barely any wear. Oil grooves look straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

All the other rods look good. I bet that one is twisted. I took a shim out, the others are ok with no sign of irregular wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Corey, if the rods slide back and forth on the cranking easily, they are too loose. They should be so that it takes the light tap of a small hammer to move them back and forth.
That should settle down the noise you get at fast cruise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

And, yes, they rod could be twisted.But,try this. If it were mine, I would take a bearing scraper and knock down the high spots. Then 'adjust'.Also, that should be crank pin, not cranking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

I got it back together. It did sometimes make some funny noise idling intermittently but it doesn't seem to now. Was kinda hard to crank guess I need to let it run at idle a bit before I go driving so it can loosen up. I bet there is a problem with that rod because all the others looked fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, November 11, 2016 - 10:29 pm:

Corey, a sprung rod also causes piston slap and pin noise. Sounds to me like a good average fun car engine. Drive it and enjoy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 12:28 am:

Looks to me like a case of really soft babbitt. This is indicated by how the bearing metal has wiped across the oil grooves and the grey color of the bearing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration