Sandblasting What is the next step ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sandblasting What is the next step ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 09:26 am:

After sandblasting a body how do you stop or prevent rust prior to priming the body? I was told to sandblast, do all metal straightening, weld new panels and then walnut blast the body to prevent warping. How do I stop rust while the new panels are being welded in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Keep it in a dry garage :-)
May depend on local climate, but blasted steel parts never rusts in my unheated but isolated garage, while unpainted steel parts tends to rust in my other unisolated storage shed.

If you plan to walnut blast before final paint anyway, you may as well paint it temporarily with some cheap spray can primer. Maybe the project gets held up and has to be moved to other storage for some time..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Get an etch primer on it as soon as blasting is complete. It's easy to clean off wherever you need to weld or you can mask those areas if you know in advance where you need to cut and weld.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Agree with Walter. I would blow it off with air, wipe it down with MEK, then shoot it with a good self etching zinc rich primer to keep everything from rusting until you are ready to work on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:18 am:

metal prep thru por 15 spray it on with a sprayer bottle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:41 am:

Jasco Prep and Prime will remove any flash rust if there is any and will also prevent it from forming if you don't want to prime yet. Lowes carries it as well as Ace Hardware. It's less than $7 a quart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Be aware that some primers do not bond as well to metal that has been "metal-preped with anti-rusting chemicals. DP epoxy primers, for instance.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration