Incorrect Tubes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Incorrect Tubes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Today I had the pleasure of dismounting a very old Coker 30X3 tire, from the nicest Kelsey wheel I've seen. I was surprised to find a 30X3 1/2 tube inside. I'm surprised that it held air, as it was folded and kinked in several spots, and has never been patched. I've heard talk lately of a tube to fit both sizes, but from what I just saw, I'll never do it. The tube is a real old Wards Riverside, like we used to get when I was in my teens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Back when things were made to LAST!! Not Chinese junk you get today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

I have successfully used 30X3 tubes in 30X3 1/2. I did that a long time ago ant they are still doing good. I agree that 3 1/2 in 3s is not good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 02:44 am:

Larry and Hal both point out a no-no in tube fitment. Undersized tubes can be inflated to fit a larger width tyre, but the reverse is fraught with problems.
An illustration is the multiple sizes printed on some 21" tubes. 4.50, 5.00, 5.25 x 21" The tube is made to fit 4.50 tyres, but will expand to fill a 5.25 tyre. Just don't try refitting one that has been in a 5.25 tyre into a 4.50 tyre!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

I know of one vendor who doesn't carry any 30 x 3 tubes. They claim that the 30 x 3-1/2 will work for both. Just because you can get it in the tire doesn't mean it will "work."

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration