Windshield glass replacement - closed car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Windshield glass replacement - closed car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Bosco on Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 10:56 pm:

I am replacing original windshield glass with safety glass in a 1925 coupe. Since the safety glass is a bit thicker than the original, what type of material should I use between the glass and the steel windshield frame?

Thanks,
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Original windshield channel material for closed cars were factory strips of canvas-backed cork retaining strips in thickness of 3/32, 3/16" for the lower half and 1/32 and 1/16 for the upper. Added to that would be friction tape and fitting the different strips for the 3 different glass thicknesses of 1/8", 3/16" and 5/16" supplied by Ford.

Today use the modern cork / butyl rubber 'bedding tape' that are found at auto glass shops. Most have this material or you can order on-line too from eBay or Amazon. Use layers of the tape as needed.

(Service Bulletin, July 1924) Showing trimming off bedding tape.

Typical modern bedding tape for auto glass.

My local auto glass shop used bedding tape for my '26 windshield frame, as that is what the factory used for the Improved Open cars. Twenties Fords used soft brass nickel plated flexible channel instead of cork/rubber bedding tape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Bosco on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Thanks Dan for your informative advice, much appreciated!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration