True Fire Ignition fittment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: True Fire Ignition fittment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Sharpe on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 12:07 am:

Hi, I'm new to this web page. I just fitted a True fire ignition to my 27 t All connections are correct as per sheet. When I go to start it (with starter motor) it cranks fine but when I release the starter switch the engine starts to run backwards, Can anyone help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 12:17 am:

Sounds like the spark is quite a bit too much advanced!! Retard the spark (rotate the timer anti clockwise looking from the front of the car (in the direction of the rotation of the camshaft)).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 08:38 am:

You MUST reset the timing when installing a Truefire! You will find that you will likely have to lengthen your timing rod quite a bit.

On mine, I actually fabricated a custom rod to get the required length while ensuring that the rod wouldn't touch any of the timer terminals over its full travel.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/517133.html?1423931331

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Sharpe on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

I have retarded the spark as far as the housing will allow. I disconnected the rod & turned the housing by hand until the rod connector bracket was touching the fan belt(right hand drive Australia). Sounds like i'll have to move all the wiring connectors around one hole (90 degrees).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

Ah, your car is likely right hand drive!

Re-indexing the timer wires around one hole sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Sharpe on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

I'll try moving the wiring later this morning & let you know. Its 6.44am Monday morning here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Sharpe on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Moved the switch inside the timer housing 90 degrees. Engine fired, then had to shorten advance rod as bracket for rod was too far around just got to road test but it seems OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 02:08 am:

Charlie, I have fitted three True fire systems to RHD cars. It does need some fiddling with the timer control rod, from memory it needs to be longer.
When you say you rotated the 'switch inside the timer housing', did you cut a new slot in the rotor button? I don't quite follow!

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration