Had a nice backfire today!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Had a nice backfire today!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

We had a great turn out yesterday at the Bastrop Area Cruisers Veterans Day car show. It is a beautiful day today and took my RP out for a drive in the neighborhood. I moved the key from Bat to Gen while slowing down and got what sounded like a Veterans Day salute.

I will try to put this back together with some persuasion and some welding.........M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

Now, THIS is the kind of optimism I can get behind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

It is best to switch at idle and do it quickly. If you are moving, at least put the car in neutral with the throttle all the way up when you switch! Been there, done that.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

This happened to me one day. I pulled onto the side of the road .. took off the muffler ... and fixed it with a hammer and used the curb as a back up to re-form the seam. Stayed that way for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

I got my muffler back together today and it sounds good again. Mark was right about straightening and backing up the seam. I used a pipe in a vice to provide something to hammer against and seal the seam. I also put it on the wire wheel and painted with high temp engine paint. I hope not to offend as I used 68 Olds 442 Gold that was sitting on my shelf for several years. This hopefully will improve performance too! :-)bending Finished

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Install a muffler for an 8N Ford tractor and backfire all you want. These won't blow apart & sound good too.
One of many vendors:
http://www.ruralking.com/ford-new-holland-tractor-muffler-8.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

I cut a length of pipe of the exhaust of a Mack truck to replace the stovepipe on my muffler, oddly enough I have not had a back fire since. I think if you are running a bit rich you might have more problems with back fire. I can switch from battery to mag or reverse with out any pop.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration