Z Head Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Z Head Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 07:29 am:

I put a Z Head on my T and am wondering if Those of you who a running could answer some questions:
1.Do you run the regular plugs, Champ 25, Autolite 3095 etc. or other.
2. what do you use for plug gap?
3. Does timing stay the same, I am using a distributor ignition??

Thanks Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:58 am:

I use the Champion 25's in mine. Keep in mind not to over tighten, The aluminum will strip easy. No change in timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I use Bosch platinum, (don't have the number handy), as hot a plug as they make.

Gap, about .025/.030

Don't know what the timing is. I still use the spark lever, (with distributor), and adjust for the "sweet spot"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I used the new Champion X plugs and didn't think they run as well in my car as the Champion 25's. Tried some old Gambles Varcon plugs too. They ran OK for a while. Wish I had some original Champion X plugs to try, but no luck so far. You might want to try different gaps too in order to see what works best for you. I also always use high temp anti-seize compound on the plug threads.

When I switched from a Z-Head to a Prus Head and went through the whole ritual above. Finally settled on the Motorcraft plugs gapped at .030 as the best alternative for that in my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

I am running 3 cars with distributors, z heads, 3095 plugs set at .035. One car has had this set up for 10 years. All run well, start easy on 6 or 12 volts. I do use anti seize on spark plugs and the two bolts at the water jacket. One head had to be "tweeked" slightly due to the aluminum piston hitting the edge of the head. Other than that, a good set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

My Z head is drilled for 14 MM plugs. I had BAD experience with Autolite 62.

I LIKE Bosch 4003 or Bosch 4203. I believe one or the other has been discontinued so you might need to look on E-bay to find them.

For standard 1/2" thread I like Edison 14.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

I run Champion X's. Gap at .030". I am running American Bosch Ign so may not be same spark dwell as u have but I run well. Do need to clean soot off plugs every 100 miles or so ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

I am using Motorcraft F II'S in my Z, Prius, and original heads, They work the best for me in all applications. Old original x's work second best. I have had a lot of problems with champ 25's. I almost changed my cars to distributors before I used F11's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 07:28 am:

Thanks for the help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration