Insurance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Insurance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Hello all. I need a bit of advice. I'm about to close a deal on a 1915 (and yes it's a true 1915) touring and I need to purchase insurance for it. Do you have any input or advice as to which is the best way or company to go with. I have AAA for my regular cars, and Home. The purchase price is $14,500. Thanks, Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Jerry, I went with AAA because of the benefits they have when you insure all your cars with them. Also I drive my T quite a bit so I want the same coverage on all my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Most folks like Hagerty. I certainly do!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Hagerty just unveiled a new rider where, in the event of a total loss, you get both the check for the agreed value AND the vehicle itself (i.e. they are giving you the salvage rights). I didn't know about it until I called to add my '39 Packard to the policy and they told me about it. A great thing for those of us who like to build / restore our own cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Hagerty, Grundy & American Collector are the three major companies that comes to mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 03:16 pm:

Hagerty all the way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

There's also J.C. Taylor, whom I've had very good luck with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

My State Farm Kansas for Model A liability only 26.18$ every 6 months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

Compare prices and read the policy carefully to make sure that you are getting what you expect. JC Taylor does not spend as much on advertising, and has lower rates than either Grundy or Hagerty. But if you read the policies, they are essentially identical.

Also, be sure that you can actually get coverage. I sent Grundy photos of one of my cars in primer, they refused to insure it because - according to the response that I got from them - it was a "parts car". So I insured it at JC Taylor for $50,000 agreed value instead, and saved a chunk of cash in the process. Yes, JC Taylor received the same photos.

You need to insure your car running or not for what it is worth if it is a total loss. Any reputable antique car insurance company will do that. JC Taylor has been in the antique car insurance business for longer than any other company, so they know what to expect and how to act.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Hagerty. _Period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Schrage -- Grosse Pte Farms, MI on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

Hagerty is the one I have used on several classic vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Thanks to all! Hagerty's it is! Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Jerry, I have been insured with JC Taylor for 40 years. I have had two claims. No Problems at all.
The thing you have to ask yourself is, are you going to drive the car every day to work or just on club functions. I drive my 1911 T on quite a few tours and around my area quite a lot. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

I have been with Auto owners group insurance for 20+ years they have been in business for since 1916. I have 6 collector car policies and 2 newer cars and truck and life and homeowners through them. I have had claims but never collector car claims. When we had the major tornado come through Ringgold Georgia and they came immediately and paid no problems. So that's my story insurance. I feel like they have been in business for a hundred years because they take care of their claims. Rates are just average to other collector policies. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

I really only intend to drive it for ice cream, coffee and the occasional parade or short tour. But in a practical sense, seeing as Model Ts have no odometer, is it simply a matter of them taking your word on faith?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Hagerty. They also insure young Model T drivers too; not all do that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Hagerty. They are more flexible with usage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

I have JC Taylor, but the folks at AAA tell me they have a connection with another company , l forget if it is hagerty or Grundy or who.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Harms - Sacramento County, CA on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

Hagerty understands old vehicles and has excellent options depending on how you use your Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 01:50 am:

A friend of mine got his T totaled and Hagerty settled with him and he was happy.
Some weeks later Hagerty called him to have a meeting about the whole thing because they had found out his car was worth a bunch more than the agreed value,etc.
They had two guys who had checked the car out some months before the accident and were happy to be there to give their opinion on the value of the car.
Anyway, he ended up getting more for the car and I believe quite a bit more for his wife's injuries. It added up to several thousand dollars more.
He was very happy with Hagerty.
I intend to switch over to Hagerty when my JC policy runs out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Hate to say anything negative about anyone but a good friend recently suffered some flood damage on his car and was unfortunately insured with triple A. I keep telling people it's not about price- it's about service and you won't get that answer until you have a claim. Listen to the folks on the forum for that kind of info and forget trying to save a few bucks! (you might save some anyway, but the headaches and heartburn you'll save later will pay you back ten-fold!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

I have had JC Taylor for over 40 years and my father had his collection insured with JC Taylor starting around 1950. They are the oldest and the least expensive of the majors. This is accomplished by conservative advertising, keeping overhead down. They don't need to splash photos of their exotic and fancy cars in their advertising ,(that customers pay for in premiums). They are a low overhead small and very personal service company.
All collector car insurers pay quick claims and are very fair. There is a very good reason for that, their claims are quite low due to limited driving and the overall condition of customers cars.

They are all under scrutiny because they do not have lots of claims and they retain most of the premium. The Government is always watching over their shoulder to make sure the claims payout ratio is in order.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration