Two Fan Hardware Questions (Early)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Two Fan Hardware Questions (Early)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

1. I know that the Ford Fan Bracket Bolt #3968 had a cotter pin hole in it from 1909 on.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/28113.html?1177247522
I found the lower one in my bolt drawer. It is shorter and has no hole. The shoulder diameter, length and thread size is the same even though the photo makes it look larger. Could it be a bogus part from an after market supplier? Has anyone else seen these?

2. What was the material used to seal the grease cup from its housing? #3970 It acts like hard rubber after 40 some years. Has anyone used leather here with any luck?

Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 01:41 am:

Richard, It was a fibrous type of material, and may well have been leather. The hardest part will be getting the upsets which hold whatever it was in place, bent back enough to install new material.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:17 am:

I'll have to check the early grease cup next time I go to the archives. The ones on my '13s are solid brass, and the flats a somewhat longer than the steel ones, and yes, it appears the seal is made of leather. I've never tried it but I wonder if you scraped out that area if a small O ring could be stretched over that area?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:46 am:

In the mean time I made a seal out of an old inner tube. Once trimmed to the right OD it seems to seal good enough.
Thanks
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration