TIRES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TIRES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

ANY HELP RECOMMENDING A PLACE TO BUY TIRES FOR MY MODEL T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Gagel, Orange,Ct on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

I had real good luck dealing with Universal Tire in Hershey Pa.
They went out of their way to remedy a problem that I had with 4 of their Firestone tires (when brown within a few months).
They now have a customer for life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

Coker Tire in Chattanooga,Tn. They have an online catalog.Good people to deal with.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

All the tires are made in the same place. Essentially you are making a decision based on price and shipping cost. Check out Summit Racing and Coker Tire. Both are great companies that stand behind their product. I think Summit offers free shipping on tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

It's important that when you make your purchase, you get tires that haven't been laying around long enough to dry out. -You want the freshest rubber you can get. -Lang's, a company with significant buying power, "drop-ships" tires directly from the manufacturer and seems to have the clout to insist that any Lang's customer will receive only very fresh tires. -When I buy tires from Lang's and unwrap them, they always have the dizzying stink of fresh rubber.

Here's their website:

https://www.modeltford.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

I hesitate to ask this question... but has the problem of white tires prematurely turning brown been resolved by the manufacturer, or is it that people are just willing to live with the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

After you select a tire size and brand, see if Summit Racing sells them and compare the DELIVERED price. Summit offers free shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

What Royce said. Just buy from the vendor you're comfortable with. Just DON'T buy white tires!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

What Bob C said too. I bought all white threaded that came with mild dry rot years ago. Last year I bought from langes and they were drop shipped and were very good all white threaded tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Thanks again Bob Poane on the brass mirror purchase, great guy to deal with !!! Question Bob, so your saying that there is a good quality all white tire available ??? I've always been under the assumption like Royce said, "same manufacturer with dozens of different vendors and labels". Would love to purchase whites for my 14' Roadster but would lose my sense of humor if they turned yellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

I buy all of my T or A tires from cookers in Chattanooga Tn. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

I buy all of my T or A tires from cookers in Chattanooga Tn. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Sorry bout the double post...... Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Depends on what you need and/or want. Balloon tires? Clinchers? Firestone? Wards? They may all come from the same source, but different brands and different prices are available from different dealers. For example, Wards Riversides are sold only by Lucas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

John Albert Lemon,

If I'm the Bob of whom you're asking, "Question Bob, so your saying that there is a good quality all white tire available ???", my answer, after hearing countless complaints, would be: I doubt it, but if you're going to take a chance, hedge your bet by buying from Lang's. _At least you'll get fresh rubber.

I'll also point out that sunlight is the enemy of rubber. _If you have white tires and your garage has windows, you might want to cover the glass panes.

I'm also going to re-post this ad because if what the advertiser claims it true, then it would be very relevant to this conversation.

In any case, you can expect white tires to last nowhere near as long as black tires and the manufacturer is up front about this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Thanks Bob C. for the feed back. You'd think, here in this 21st century that some Einstein would have this white rubber tire issue figured out ??? Whom ever figures this out will have the market cornered, can't make em' fast enough and would be suck'n margarita's in Key West FL for the rest of their lives !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By robert steinmetz on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 08:43 am:

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:15 am:

Somehow, someone did know how to make a white tire that stayed white.

These PJA tires, made in Morrilton, Arkansas are still rather white. They are probably no newer than 1970 and possibly made a couple of years before then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Hard to beat this deal
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-78705/overview/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:00 am:

I just purchased the set of tires referenced above from Summit. And, due to their GA location, I paid for them late one night and they arrived on my doorstep the next day.

As stated, hard to beat that deal.

Also, I tend to purchase large items and things like paint and chemicals that require high shipping costs at trade shows, conventions, or swap meets where the vendors come. If you can pick and choose your time frame, you might save some shipping dollars.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration