What is the float setting for a 4 ball Kingston?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What is the float setting for a 4 ball Kingston?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

I moved mine a while back when I was having fuel starvation issues. Cleaned out the tank which was the problem but now I have a flooding problem and I need to put it back. I can't remember how much I moved it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/359689.html?1367814420

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/210295.html?1304952786

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Make sure someone did not adapt a Grose Jet to it. I had a Kingston 4 ball that someone "restored" that had a Grose Jet that would either stick shut or open. Sure sounds like what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 08:22 am:

I agree with Royce, I had a 4 ball with a gross jet, which quickly gummed up and refused to seal after sitting for a short length of time. In a perfect sterile environment, with no gas gum issues, I am sure it would work great. I quickly grew tired of pulling the carb to re clean the gross jet every other occasion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 09:24 am:

It's got a grose jet and it will stick if I don't start it every day or two but it was ok most of the time until I changed the float setting. It shuts off, all the gas doesn't drain out, but the level is too high. What all is involved in swapping it back? I know the needle/ seat is different than other carbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:01 am:

I have a 5 ball with a Grose jet and the float level is set with a set screw in the float arm that bears on the ball of the Grose jet.
You cant really bring yours back to stock because installation of a Grose jet requires you drill out the seat to install the jet.
I've never had a problem with sticking with my 5 ball. I do have an inline gas filter that may be the reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:24 am:

I run a 4 ball on my '14 that has been modified with a Grose Jet. It ran great for awhile then started giving me problems like you describe. I replaced the GJ with a new one and from then on I used only ethanol-free gas. Not a hint of trouble since, including sitting all winter full of (ethanol free) gas. I just brought the car back into my shop after it sat untouched for a month in my trailer. Started on the first pull and ran silky smooth on its last trip before putting it away for the winter.

Summary: replace the GJ and use only ethanol-free from here on out. If your local purveyor of petroleum doesn't have it, marinas are good places to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 10:17 am:

I set the float a little lower. Solved my flooding problem. It never leaked gas out but it had too much in the bowl and flooded easy. I guess it was working like those old carbs with no choke that you depress the float. Now I choke it twice then it starts like normal, before no choke and if it didn't start it flooded. Don't know why I waited so long it took like 15 minutes to fix. I set the float lower because I broke it when I had the carb apart to clean it so I stapled it together and coated it with pvc pipe glue, thought it might be heavier. Then it was starving for gas, which was a dirty tank problem also, so I set it higher, too high, and it flooded. It's back to normal now. I don't know how it ran before I cleaned it, it was kind of a mud pie inside where the 4 balls sit. No air filter, dirt daubers, I don't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Russ Potter rebuilt a 4 ball for me a few years ago. Among other things, ethanol ate up the cork float. When I got it back, all I had to do is ajust the mixture a quarter of one turn. Russ is a pro with carbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

He rebuilt mine too, a long time ago. Back then there was no ethanol gas. I remember now, that's how I broke the float. The shellac on the float came apart when I first put ethanol in it in 07 or about. I broke it trying to set it higher after re-coating the float. Then I cleaned it all, and the tank a while back and set the float even higher. Now I got it back right. Runs great other than that float problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration