Ford Script "TT" flat bed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford Script "TT" flat bed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

I've got a real nice flat bed for a TT truck that has "FORD TRUCK" embossed on the back metal outter metal edge. What year(s) would that be ??? Wished I could supply a picture but I'm working on it. Thanks for any feed back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Can't tell you how early those were made, but I have seen them on '24 and later TT's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

Burger, was it a factory standard bed or optional ??? Just haven't seen any that's why I asked. Thanks for the feed back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Could also be an AA or later. What length? Photos would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

I bought this one for my 1924 TT project. I don't know if it's correct, but that's where it's going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

I have seen a lot of 8 footers for the TT, some smaller sized for the A. I had 2 TT's with 8 foot beds but one was wider, both had the script and both had the same framework and attachments.

I have seen at least 2 widths for both the AA and the TT's. (check with the AA club of North America)

I seem to remember that beds later than the A, AA, mid 30's and up there are I think 3 lengths and 2 widths. 40's change again but it has been a long time. I am sure someone on this fourum can enlighten us more on the subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

In January of 1924 the C cab plus a number of rear platform variations were made available . C T C T W . The Model AA had Ford Truck on the back of the bed as will . The difference is if I remember correctly is that the TT has holes for four stakes on the side and the AA has six .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

That's exactly what I've got Steve, is it Model "TT" era correct ??? Sure would like to put it on my NEW 26'. The flat bed that came with it is beautiful clear oak but I wanted to open up the box area. That's why I got ahold of you about the extended length SS bed strips. Thanks a bunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Thanks Perry & Mark, I'll definitely check this out in the morning. Damn I wished I had this photo issue figured out, my webmaster is outta town !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

If I understand the way TT trucks were marketed, a person bought a basic chassis as a
starting point and added "features" from there. So, a "C" or box cab could be added (after
1925) or a factory bed like yours, or any number of other goodies a person might want.
Both my trucks had this bed, but most do not, either never having them to begin with or
harsh usage killed them a long time ago.

So, to answer your question .... there was no standard issue TT truck to base "is this
standard/optional ?" on. Your bed IS a factory option that while stock, was not installed
to all (or many) trucks when new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, November 14, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Gotta have the webmaster teach you how. It's easy once you know it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:43 am:

John, I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere years that the AA beds only had "Ford" on them. I think that was carried on for several years. The same basic design with different lengths, widths and sill sizes was used at least up through the '60's and maybe more. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Burger - my Granddad bought this TT C-Cab Covered Express in early spring of 1925. Has a serial number of 12/24 and was assembled at the Ford plant in Seattle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:48 am:

I may be wrong, but I thought the "Ford Truck" script flatbeds were used in TT's only, although I never had an AA or seen one up close. I am pretty certain that only "Ford" script was used from the V8 years onward, even up into the forties and fifties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phil Mino, near Porterville on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Neil Wilson has done a magnificent job covering the details of the Model AA platform, shown on the AA forum.

platform bodies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Steve,

AFAIK, the C-cab was a 23 introduction, but the box cab was not offered until 1925, hence my use of the word "or". I guess that could be misleading, as it could be read as the C-cab wasn't around until 25 too.

Do you know where the Seattle Ford plant was ? A seem to recall it being in the Westlake/Lake Union area, but I have been away so long, I can't remember for sure.

Let's see some more pictures of that hideous mess your Grandad bought. Never see enough TT's. :-)

What did he use it for with that body on it ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Hey guys, I also have a C-Cab Truck. and both of my beds have Ford Truck. But I dont think the A or AA was that way. Just Ford Ford on the back.
And one of mine is shorter and narrower than the other. With that said I have sold off the larger one so I can not get the size. But can measure my shorter one if anyone wants to know. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:24 am:

A few miles out of Marshalltown Iowa I looked at an early barn find AA truck (three speed with auxiliary) that had "Ford Truck" stamped in the back flatbed cross-member. So the "Truck" lettering appears to have continued into AA production.

I've got some pics somewhere. I'll see if I can post them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Burger - I understand that Ford TT steel open cab production began in 1924 and the truck was purchased from Wm. O. McKay Ford on Westlake Ave. - not sure if that was where the original Ford assembly plant was but I do know it was relocated to a new large brick facility on East Marginal Way - late 20's ?

My grandparents were immigrants from Italy after WW1 - my Gramps became an engineer for the City of Seattle & my Grandma ran the M & M (Mike & Michelle) Grocery in Seattle - the truck was used for deliveries, mostly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

The Ford Truck Script on the back of the factory flatbeds ended in 1927. There was only one size built for the TT's. Many purchasers of the Ford TT's did not want these beds stating that they were too small to haul standard Bushel baskets Milk Cans..ect. Most TT's were sold without Factory beds as the new owners bought bigger beds from other companies that built them.

Ford did increase the size of the Flatbeds but not until after the AA production had started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Fred, I had two Ford Truck metal beds. And the one I keep is smaller. Both are Ford factory beds. I was told thar the smaller one was early. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

I Had a 1950 F-5 stake & platform with ford script in the middle
Of the rear crossmember jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Jim, That's what I posted above. If I am correct, The word Ford in script was used on factory stake beds during the 30's, 40's and at least early 50's. the same design factory stake bed was used on F350's even into the 60's, but the script was gone and replaced with FORD in block capital letters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

I was AMAZED at the response to the thread I posted. Thank you to each an everyone that contributed, this has been very helpful. I went out to the barn today and measured my other "TT" flat bed, 65" wide, 100" long, 4 stake pockets each side and 3 stake pockets along the back. So I assume my flat bed is late 20's era correct ??? Liked the pic of your Grandfather's truck Steve, that was SHARP !!! Again, thanks a bunch guys, I'm sure I'll be using the Ford Truck script flat bed when I make the change over. Appears we have a bunch of "TT" truck enthusiast's, that's great !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

John, I went and measured my bed and it is 99 inch,s long and 65 wide. Can others please measure there,s? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Lemon ~

Nuttin' great about no TT enthusiasts. Just a bunch of bad seeds gone rotten !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:37 am:

This is a great post! Although I don't own, or know much about TT's they still interest me. When I saw the photo above of Steve Jelfs bed, it got me to thinking. So, I emailed Steve and got the reply I was after. The bed strips on his bed are the same configuration as the ones in my '25 pickup. My question is, how many years did they make this style of bed strip for the TT trucks, and were they only used for the flat bed and probably the TT express bed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:45 am:

Burger - Is that a Lincoln TT auxiliary transmission on the bed of your truck? I have one as well, but it is missing the "Eiffel Tower" shifter, if that's what I'm looking at.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Yup, ... It's a Lincoln 3-speed. Under, direct, and overdrive. Lincoln also made a 2-speed for
underdrive needs.

5:1 gears, Lincoln overdrive, OF, Z head, SCAT crank, C-race cam, and a serious effort to balance
this oblong ball of bolts, and I might be able to break the 25 mph barrier !!! Looking to sweep the
Montana 500 TT Division speed trials. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Pulled these pictures off eBay awhile ago. Sorry they aren't better. Any idea what year? So no flatbeds were offered assembled from the factory or was there a heavier version of this truck that would have had the flatbed?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Pulled these pictures off eBay awhile ago. Sorry they aren't better. Any idea what year? So no flatbeds were offered assembled from the factory or was there a heavier version of this truck that would have had the flatbed?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Sorry for the double post but I did it the way I always do and when I hit post it threw up some strange window that posted it a second time??

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

This is the bed for my 25 TT. It is approximately eight foot four inches long and six foot, one inch wide. It has four pockets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Leonhardt on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

The stake bed on my '26 Model TT measures 99" (less the stake pocket brackets) X 65".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

This is my 1926 TT chassis, completed in 2010. Because it was going to be used as a daily driver and "work horse", the bed was constructed of TREXX decking material. It has proven to be very handy as a utility vehicle and when parked, a great work bench!

As a winter project, the cab will be reconstructed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Randy,

It's interesting to me that you mention what a great work bench your TT makes. Mine is a wood cab, wood bed truck too. Looking at your photos I bet the bed height of the two beds isn't more than an inch or so different. It makes a GREAT work bench. Plenty of room and it's the perfect height for me. :-)

P.S. Mine has a Muncie too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Henry
Can you post pics of your wood cab TT?
I have a 26 with Martin parry cab but no bed. I need to rework cab but mostly complete.looking for ideas. The ignition switch is missing so that pic would be great also.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Dallas,
Here's a photo, but my truck may not be too useful as a sample cab. Is was an orchard truck for a good part of its life and the top of the cab was unceremoniously cut off to prevent damage to the trees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 08:15 am:

It was used as a movie prop for the AMC filming in the central Texas area of the "The Son".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 05:52 am:

Fred Miller, there were most certainly two sizes of the TT beds. They are listed in the parts books. One was was wider than the other. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 08:12 am:

Thanks Henry
Any pics help. The pic Randy Brown posted of hi chassis helped with the ignition switch mounting. Was this typical mounting on the TT? Seat construction is another mystery. Looking for any pics of body and bed mounting.
Thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration