OT - Followup from the London to Brighton Tour

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Followup from the London to Brighton Tour
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:05 am:

I've been a little behind following up on the tour. A few pics, along with a 17 minute video of our London experience. If you have time to kill, raise a glass of bitters and see our adventure. The 1904 Model A belongs to our good friend from the U.K., John Biggs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/319gwc0jc1ukkk4/Video%20Nov%2014%2C%207%2006%2034%20PM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:31 am:

Great video and photos but look behind you, you've lost your two back seat passengers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Rob, Dennis is right. In the first pictures, there are two fur balls in the back seat. In the last few pictures, there's nothing in the back seat! What gives? Did those two fur balls bounce out.....or just abandon you for a warm pub along the way or something. Inquiring minds need to know. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:40 am:

I just watched the whole video and it's great!!! Kudos to the two camera girls in the back seat. Watching the video from their perspective is almost like you're riding along...very nice.

Thanks for making and posting it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 11:58 am:

It wasn't really cold as the sun was shining. Some years there is freezing rain and I know THAT. is cold.
It all looks like great fun and it's nice that it is something they will remember for the rest of their lives...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

What a fantastic video. It must have been a real blast from the past. To see the Famous land marks and all the different thing was very impressive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 01:23 pm:

And off they go---not in a cloud of dust, but a cloud of smoke and steam!! Great video Rob, and I know you and girls had a great time. Thank you for posting this and all the others you have in the past. Regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Thanks guys. Yes, the two little fur balls bailed at the half way point for a Range Rover. Go figure....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 02:59 pm:

Rob,

Where ya' been lately? (Besides England apparently.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Personal issues. The hobby has taken a back seat to real life problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Rob:

Thank you for all the pictures and the videos. I am sure you all had a great time. The British really know how to treat their guests well.

Next time you go with the girls take them in the summer so they can swim a little bit when they get to Brighton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I've long believed I would never do that run. Too expensive, plus I've never had a car old enough. But when I get my Cadillac and my Stanley sold, I'll be car-hunting. And if I find the right Curved Dash Oldsmobile or early 2-cylinder Ford, I may just get to Brighton yet! Rob, many thanks for these posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 02:13 am:

Great to see all this Rob! In addition to a starting line video found on the internet, I found you and one passenger crossing the finish! So, I have been wondering what happened to the "fur-balls" myself? Thank you for the clever explanation.

GFtE, Good luck on finding a London/Brighten era car. You would be a great careftaker of one, and I suspect a more frequent driver than most owners. There are quite a few around, and some are not terribly expensive (well, by my standards they are, but your Stanley alone should bring enough for a decent restored car). The big issue you do need to watch for, is whether or not that car will qualify by VCC dating standards. Their standards are very high. Many era cars that would be welcomed by the HCCA will not qualify for this Run. I have a project car that is early enough. I don't know if I can live long enough to get it restored or not. IF I do, I do not know IF it could be found to qualify by their standards or not. Getting a car qualified (I am told) is often not difficult, but it can be a very difficult, and maybe expensive, process (or so I have been told). Even if I do ever get the car restored, I probably could never afford to attend the London to Brighten run. At the time I bought the project, I was still hoping I could be able to do so. But family and dirty politics got in the way.

CDOs are good little cars, especially by early standards (you of course probably already know this). Generally, they are the most common American built car on the London to Brighton Run. And most of them usually finish the Run. Sadly, not enough American hobbyists drive them often enough on tours over here. I know several people that own them. However all of them have slightly later REOs, Buicks, or Maxwells that they prefer to drive on tour. One of the few 1 & 2 cylinder tours I have attended that even had a CDO in attendance? It was brought as a back-up car, and since the primary tour car never failed, the CDO stayed in the trailer most of the several days. They had it out in the hotel parking lot a few times, but it would have been nice to see it on the tour a little bit.
The British (and other Europeans) seem to drive the really early cars a lot more than we do. I sometimes attend and often read tour reports for 1 & 2 cylinder and other early car tours. Rarely do I ever see a car earlier than 1906 on them. The London to Brighton Run is one of several annual events that these cars often attend over there (it is clearly the largest, but anyone wanting to see videos of other events should look at Youtube for "Creepy Crawly", a few videos are listed that way). Some of the Creepy Crawly tours allow cars newer than the L to B, but a lot of the cars that attend I recognize from also the L to B and therefore as earlier.
When I was previewing the entries list for the London Brighton Run awhile back, I counted more than a dozen CDOs registered. I don't know how many started the Run, but from the videos, I say would guess quite a few did, and I saw several cross the finish line (sadly, only on video).

I better shut up now! I could prattle on forever?
I am very happy that you and the girls had a good time, and glad that you are home safe.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 03:31 am:

Thanks for sharing, Rob. If one cannot get there in person, you doing it for me is the next best thing.
I have wanted to attend that event ever since the film 'Genevieve' which I saw in about 1955.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Thanks guys, my pleasure to share my pieces from the tour. Dane, I stood next to Genevieve during the pre-run Bonhams auction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Rob, that was great. I like videos that are not staged and people are just having a good time. I too would have liked to attend and participate in this event, but the cost was way to high. My L/B era auto will probably go up for sale in the near future. Age is not on my side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

Skip, what do you have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary kmiecik on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Hi Guys , I have one of those cars for sale nothing fancy drive as is or restore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

"Thank you" Rob.
That was a blast and along with that it also brought back some regrets for me.
When my Dad died in 1990 I found new owners for his car collection. The chap who bought his 1903 Curved Dash Olds was a friend of mine and while I was helping him with the re-restoration of the car, he offered to take it and I to London to do the 1995 or '96 London to Brighton rally. Unfortunately for me, I didn't hold him to it and now, its too late for him. I'd have loved it, but would have struggled with the cold. Its a mild 33C/91F here as I write this.
Cheers,
Rob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration