Interior molding for 1926/7 roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Interior molding for 1926/7 roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Buer on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

I'm in the process of putting the wood kit into my '27 roadster. I purchased the kit from Chuck and Judy Cubel years ago. There are two pieces of wood that are supposed to go behind the doors to allow upholstery to be attached. My car, however has a metal molding to slide the quarter upholstery into that is riveted to the seat platform on the bottom and had two machine screws at the top. It doesn't look like there is room for both wood and the molding. Is this supposed to be one or the other as it looks like or am I missing something to allow both? Maybe Ford replaced the wood with the metal molding at some point during these years? I do have a '27 touring and it appears it has only the molding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 05:09 pm:

Bob

The typical '27 has wood at the lower edge for tacking the lower portion of the hip pad. The top edges of the hip pads are inserted into the folded trim channel on the inside of the body. Some of the earlier '26 runabouts have wood in the side of the pillar for trim nails too into the hip pad. Different pillar treatments over the body year changes of the open cars, along with many other small changes, including door inner panels and outer panels too.

The Nov. '25 intro of the Improved Cars kept having part improvements in engine, chassis and body 'til the end of production in July '27 :-)

Wood block is also under and surrounds the top iron support, for beefing up that area of load.

Note that top iron wood in this photo of a '27 runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Buer on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

That helps. Mine is like your top picture with the molding that attaches on the inside vertically and then curves back towards the tack strip. It looks like I should attach that molding but also use the top wood piece but not the vertical wood. Your last two pictures show the vertical wood and it looks like the latch pillar is also then different. Thanks, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Here are the two versions. The top one is an early '26 and the bottom later 26 & 27

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Buer on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

Thanks Dan and Will, that totally explains what I need to do. Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration