Another problem solved

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Another problem solved
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

On the last few CNHMTFC tours members have been telling me that my tail light was very dim or not working at all. So today I had a chance to look at the problem. First I found that the old bulb’s glass was very dark and shiny (must have coating inside) and the connection was not good. After adjusting the wire connection, it was better, but still not very bright. I next thing I did was replace the bulb, that worked much better, but still not what I wanted. So, I replaced the new bulb with a new 6 volt LED red light and that seems to work great. There is a problem (Christine, always has a problem), the bulb was to long for me to put the tail light housing back on. Next I tackled the stop light, which also was not very bright. The old bulb look fine and the connection was good, so I replaced it with one of those new 6 volt LED light that I just got in the mail today.

Happy motoring,

Warren

old bulb

old bulb still in tail light

New LED light

comparing the 2 bulbs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

The old bulb is "coated" inside with vaporized tungsten from the bulb filament. I've seen this a few times, probably caused by low voltage or a poor ground. It wasn't made that way !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Warren, where did you get the bulbs from ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

https://www.ledlight.com/s25-24-led-light-6-volt-dc.aspx

Here is one and they state it can be used in a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 07:10 am:

George, I got mine from SuperBrightLED (https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/) in St. Louis, but it is to long to fit in the tail light housing.
Thanks Dave I'm looking at them now.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:00 am:

Does anyone know if these bulbs will fit in the accessory taillight offered by Ford in 1927? If I recall correctly that uses 2 bulbs, one for the taillight and the other for the stop light. My car is packed away for the winter 8 States away so I have no way to check but I would certainly like to have better visibility back there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Anybody find a source for an 1154 dual filament stop/brake light equivalent in a 6 volt LED? I found a socket that will snap into the kerosene tail lamp to add brake lights, I have 2 kerosene lamps on the back of my 21. I also run a Brakelighter LED above my license plate to be sure I'm seen
Is there an LED replacement for the headlights?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Doug, I have a '26 coupe and have ordered 2 bulbs from LEDlight.com (https://www.ledlight.com/s25-24-led-light-6-volt-dc.aspx) and will let you know how they work.

Happy motoring,

Warren

1926 Ford coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:07 am:

In a little while someone will make a brighter LED that isn't so long then someone will complain that our brake lights are too bright. then we will just have to remember to get the red LED to prevent any white light from escaping in states which have such laws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Something that makes an unbelievable improvement in the brightness of our tail lights and in a pinch our headlights is to paint the inside (reflectors) white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I cut circles out of aluminum foil and glued them into the tail light housings to act as reflectors. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Val

The lamps shown in the link Warren posted, Superbright will fit in the tail lamp socket of the accessory '26-'27 Stop/Tail lamp.

Have them in my '27.

These lamps have an array of LEDs to throw light out the clear lens to light the license plate too. LED's are linear and throw light straight out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 08:04 am:

Dan, is correct. I bought some white LEDs from SuperBright and they work great, but it was a challenge to snap the trail light retaining ring back on.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Note: the big red LED trail light is an
Blazer C6355 Red LED Emergency Light / Work Light with 24-Diodes and it works great as well. I used it while driving from Dover, New Hampshire to Dunbarton at night, after hepling BBBS with their fundraiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBoHGxA__Qg

I'm putting one in my stop light as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 08:26 am:

How do the led lights work on cold weather ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Dan, I ordered a couple and can't wait to see how they work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, November 21, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Freighter Jim, I do not know as it has not been that cold here in New Hampshire. However I'm sure I will have plenty of chances to find out shortly.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Winter coming to a place near you soon!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration