26-27 Rear Axle teardown - Unusual spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26-27 Rear Axle teardown - Unusual spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mundinho Falcao on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:04 am:

I picked up a few bits and pieces last week and in amongst it was a rear axle and drive shaft. I tore it down this afternoon and found this long spring on one side. I'm not sure if this was a thing back in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:15 am:

I think it's a scroll designed to push oil or grease back towards the diff and away from the oil seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:38 am:

It's a period accessory, the Woodworth spring and indeed supposed to push back oil/fluid grease from reaching the outer bearings. Repros have also been made. Haven't tested their efficiency myself, though.

ffff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:47 am:

Some old airplane engines use the same principle for their crank seal. A Gipsy Major seems to throw oil out of everywhere BUT there so the theory must be sound.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:52 am:

The only problem is that spring was put on the wrong side.

As the wheel turns to move the car forward, that spring moves the oil out to the wheel and it was designed to keep the hub from leaking oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:57 am:

No, I think it's correct - the drops are supposed to hang down low under the axle and follow the spring wire inwards to the inner bearing as it rotates forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:35 am:

They work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:41 am:

This is a great accessory. There was a popular hardware store that sold these in the farming area I scrounged a lot of my T parts from. Seemed like about every rear end I tore down had at least one.T axles leak worst on the left side, due to pumping action of ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 03:59 am:

It looks correct to me too. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Jim, you have me thinking. T's in Australia leak out the left side too. I always put this down to the camber of the roads taking oil out that side. If this is correct, US cars should leak out the right side. Perhaps my reasoning is off. What experience do others have? Left or right side rear axle leaks?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

If a T is not leaking on both sides it either has one of those springs on the no-leak side or it is out of gear oil.
I think those spring looking oil threaders went on both sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

The ad shows the "springs" on both sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:05 am:

I too use them and don't have oil leaks. I agree with Allan and believed that leaks from the left side was due to it being lower due to road camber. It would be interesting to have a test done using a clear window to see how much oil is actually on the axle as these springs won't collect and pump oil back that is llaying in the tubes. I suggest fit them, you can't go wrong unless installed backwards!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mundinho Falcao on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 03:36 am:

I've run the axle housings through the cleaning tank and they are a khaki colour under the black paint. I wonder if it came out of an army vehicle at some point.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration