Procedure for installing transmission drum rivets?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Procedure for installing transmission drum rivets?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Bad drum, good gear. Good drum, worn out gear. So you buy new rivets to combine the good drum with the good gear. I suppose you turn the rivets orange and mash them in the holes, then cut them flat in a lathe. Is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Yep, I insure alignment by screwing (bolting) the two together in all holes and removing one screw and nut at a time to install the rivet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

The two drums I have done, did them cold. Put the rivet in, placed on bucking bar and peen into place. Not all drum rivets are the same, there are long and short. The long ones I would use for replacing a full set, the short ones for just replacing one or two. When installed the short ones just fill the recess with not much above the working surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

The rivets are very soft, I do mine in the press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

I bolt the drum to the gear and check runout before pressing the rivets one at a time in the press. Then cut flat on the lathe.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

I shoot them cold with a rivet gun. Then face them off flush on the lathe. The steel rivets are not too hard until you shoot them. I don't think using heat is a good idea, the rivets would remain soft.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration