TACK RAIL WOOD....Can it be made ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TACK RAIL WOOD....Can it be made ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Is there a good way to make a tack rail for 1926/27 Touring Cars and Roadsters ? Is there a flexible piece that I can make ? How do you attach the seats to the wooden tack rail ? Would you have photo'of attached seat to top tack rail ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

I used a piece of PVC "lumber" I bought at one of the big box hardware stores. Ripped it to width with a handsaw (I'm a professional 18th century reproduction furniture maker) then predrilled and screwed it into place. Works beautifully, easy to do, and holds tacks at least as good as the wood (I tested it before going to the trouble). Cheap too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

As Zachary posted, easy modern way is the plastic tack strips. Find locally or buy from Lang's p/n TSTRIP-B 3/4"x3/4" x 7' length.

Use a heat gun to 'mold' the curves needed to follow the backrest. Use stove bolts drilled and placed one at a time as you heat and shape the square strip around the backrest.

Note stove bolt head counter sunk, the strip is black plastic, but now painted in the photo, and looks like wood, acts like wood to hold tacks, but won't split like wood or rot like wood :-)

You mount the backrest spring to the seat risers using straps of upholstery vinyl or fabric, something sturdy, tack in place the loops, as you have to adjust the spring height for good fit and looks.

Touring car backrest, but similar as front of a runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Here is what I use it is real wood I buy it in bulk and then cut it up into the sizes I sell it to my customers anybody can bend it and it is real wood it's been out for about five years there's only one place in the United States that sells it and they are in Gig Harbor

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration