Pinion bearing update

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pinion bearing update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

I'm aware of the Fun-Projects kits, but anybody ever modify an original spool to use tapered roller bearings. I have never seen a Fun-Projects part live and in person , so it might be more difficult than I imagine. What would be involved? Removing metal? Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Tommy, before the Fun projects items were put on the market, I had done the following. On an open spool either end of the spool was bored to accept ball bearing races. I can't remember the OD, but the ID was that of the tailshaft with the original bearing sleeve removed. The rear bearing was a thrust bearing, and a sleeve was used to make up the space between the two.
Being imperial sized bearings made them much more expensive than similar sized metric ones, but that was what fitted the shaft.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:20 pm:

Tommy, you simply order the new bearing and send them your old spool. No machining is necessary.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Tommy
I have done the same as Allan. I've also done one with tapered roller bearings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Ok, now I see you want to modify the spool your self. Sorry about the post above. :-)

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Rebuilding several Dana rearends gave me the idea to set up a spool with a pair of tapered bearings.

The challenge for me was how to set up the preload... reduce the shaft size for the bearings and cut a thread at the step, or weld a threaded collar on the engine side of the front bearing for a nut.

I decided to buy John Regan's spool instead. His use of a lock collar to control the thrust worries me a bit but he assures me it won't slip if installed correctly. So far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Model A and later Fords use a double tapered roller bearing arrangement where the bearings are sharing the same waisted race. The pinion has an external thread to set the pre-load and the arrangement is close to the ring gear so lubrication is ensured.

I can't see any way to create a similar arrangement with the Model T so I am the owner of numerous Fun Project brand pinion bearings. Good engineering at a good price is always a driver in my decision and I always make sure that the FP name is on the box now that there have been similar but not identical designs on the market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Even if I make it to 100, I expect to die with a lot of projects unfinished. So much to do, so little time. So I need to choose my battles. Certainly I can and do fix a lot of things. But with vast experience and expertise available from others, I'm not spending my time learning to do things I probably won't do more than once or twice. So I'll send my coils to the Coil Man instead of rebuilding them myself, I'll have Babbitt poured by somebody who does it all the time, and I'll use the FP pinion bearing instead of cobbling up my own version. John Regan has come up with a great product that lets me devote my time to other efforts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:30 am:

There is another point to consider. The open driveshaft spools are hardened. Before they can be machined, they must be annealed. Another expense that you do not have to worry about if you buy the Funprojects product.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:35 am:

I don't have to change anything, because I use all original parts. Never have a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:34 am:

I'm with Larry... there are enough parts around that there's no need to put the effort into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

I used to think the same way as Larry, but the Fun Projects bearing saves so much labor time and is the same price as "new", or "good used" parts. PLUS I have been able to do some comparisons that make me think the Fun Projects setup is more reliable.

I have been able to inspect some of the Fun Projects units that have been in service for a few thousand miles and they have all remained in first-class condition. The Ford setup has some short-comings and some issues: Fracturing and/or loosening of the inner roller bearing race, wear of the rollers, looseness of the roller cage, wear to the inside of the "spool", etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

And the worst problem with the Ford setup: No new Hyatt bearings available. And very few good used ones - the pinion style seems to wear worse than the axle type, no problem to find good used axle Hyatts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration