Silvered reflectors for 1926-'27

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Silvered reflectors for 1926-'27
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

The headlight reflectors on my '26 coupe are becoming dull and yellowed. Does anyone have a source for new, replacement silvered headlight reflectors or reconditioned, re-silvered (not chromed) reflectors (not inserts)?

I have seen this question come up numerous times with no definitive answer. Seems like with as many Model T's there are that need new reflectors, there would be someone out there that could do this work.

Thank you.

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

I have the new Snyder's version in stock.

aloso@q.com

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/headlight-reflectors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

Have you tried Wrights Silver Creme?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

As a jeweler. I went to one in Huntsville AL and he sent mine to a plater in Atlanta GA. They did an excellent job and used silver. Unfortunately I don't recall the place in Atlanta.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

The new Snyder ones are excellent and won't tarnish--and they are cheaper than having yours re-done. The quality of reflection is as good or better than silver. YOu will love them!
I have no relationship with Snyder other than as a customer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:11 am:

I have a pair of the "Snyder" reflectors too, and they are an excellent choice as both the reflectability and fit are first rate. Of course if you want the traditional silver plate I can understand that, but the stripping and plating process can be expensive. There is a Restoration outfit in Portland Oregon that offers this service at around $100.00 a reflector.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 05:05 am:

Check with lamp shops in your area, many do small job plating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 08:16 am:

Last set I had Bill Atwood do at Uvira cost me $75 a pair (including return shipping). More info in this previous discussion:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/629146.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Who silver plates glass reflectors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:39 am:

the Snyders reflectors are done with the Uvira process (maybe not by Uvira, but same process). Bill prefers the reflectors come to him nickel plated, so there's that added expense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

Since we're talking about '26-27 reflectors, I have one with a brilliant shine and the other looks like oxidized aluminum or maybe even silver paint. In the T brain trust's estimation could this be extremely even tarnishing and could it be polished out? If so, what works best?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

More likely it silver paint. Clean the paint off and see whats under it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration