1911 Torpedo history, photos and info

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1911 Torpedo history, photos and info
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

I just purchased a very original 1911 Torpedo from a gentleman who owned it since 1945. I can't seem to find a huge amount of info online about the 1911 Torpedos. I would like to know how many 1911 Torpedos were built originally and how many real cars exist today? I also want to see original photos if anyone has any. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:07 pm:

Alex, If you haven't done so, click on this link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1911+ford+torpedo&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&espv= 2&biw=1024&bih=677&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzyffa9K7QAhXBPiYK HSDDAk0Q7AkIJQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:17 pm:

Very cool cars
Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 05:15 am:

really great original pichttp://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/611367.html?1479356870

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:01 am:

Here are some Model T Forum threads with lots of good info and pictures:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/221059.html

There were a lot of good 1911 Torpedo photos on the MTFCI site but apparently there is no way to access those photos any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:53 am:

Thanks guys for those posts. I was told about 4,000 Torpedos were built and about 1000 torpedo runabouts were built originally. Does that sound right? There were many fakes with new bodies etc built over the years, but does anyone have an idea of how many real cars exist today? The fakes obvious will never be 100% correct because it would be near impossible to find a Torpedo engine number anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:11 am:

I see your assistant vice president of DRAGONE.

Sounds like your sizing up how many pinkies up $$$$ you can auction it for. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Jay, I will not be selling this one. This is a permanent member of my collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Here is a picture when I picked the car up on Monday of myself and Al who owned the car since 1945. It was his first car and he purchased it for $40.00 (I got the old bill of sale from the original owner to Al from 1945!). Its an awesome original car, which is why I am so curious to how many original 1911 Torpedo's actually exist today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Hey Alex, how about posting some pictures of your car?

Thanks,
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Awesome!

That,s a keeper for sure!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:08 am:

Sorry, Alex, I was typing when you were posting the picture.

Thanks!
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Thanks Jay, and no problem Dan. Anyone have anymore period photos of 11 Torpedos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:55 am:

I have been researching the 1911 torpedo for 6 years and have much info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Here is Florence and Helen and their dog.\popjpeg

{694034,}

This is one showing the "butt" ugly horn

I have a bunch more, but no time right now.
I have been collecting torpedo information for years.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Ford built 7845 of all types of runabouts in 1911 model year. Probably half were the type that you have Alex. The 1911 open runabout and 1911 runabout body styles are much less common.

Today there are probably twice as many reproduction bodied runabouts as there are real ones. No telling how many real ones exist, I would say in the low 200's would be a good guess, with perhaps 800 of the made from reproduction parts variety. You could ask Tom Rootlieb, I think he keeps records of how many of each type body he sells. The 1911 Torpedo Runabout is for sure his best seller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Thanks everyone for the great pictures and info. I am very proud to own an original car. I requested the original shipping invoice from the Henry Ford so I will see what info I might learn about my car is that I don't already know.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration