Spencer's Madras -1912 Delivery?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Spencer's Madras -1912 Delivery?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mundinho Falcao on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 04:24 am:

Is this one of those 1912 Delivery Trucks?

Spencer's Madras

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 04:59 am:

Looks like TWO.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Wow what a cool building. The 2 delivery cars are cool, but me thinks that steam machine in the far left is even neater!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:14 am:

The most knowledgeable person I know of on the 1912 Model T Delivery Car is John Regan. He has done the most extensive research on this body style, and has done the most authentic restoration of a Delivery Car that I am aware of. If the pictures are clear enough, he can probably tell you the manufacturer of the body and whether it was a pre-assembled body or a knock-down for shipment to a branch.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:56 am:

That photo looks to me like it was taken in India.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:15 am:

Yes, Madras is a city in India and Spencer Plaza is an old mall there. The original building shown was built in 1863/64 and unfortunately destroyed by a fire 1983.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/indias-oldest-mall-is-dying/article3 666947.ece

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Trent:

You may have more faith in me than the facts would justify. Usually a SHORPY photo can be zoomed in on and details picked up. If I could zoom in on the cars I might be able to locate more details but it is pretty tough. Those DO look like Ford Delivery Cars and I can only say at this point that I see nothing yet that might suggest they are NOT Ford Delivery cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

I wonder if a higher resolution picture might be available somewhere? If there is and I could get it emailed to me I might be able to see some details and could report back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 02:07 am:

My first glance at the photo, my first thought was "India" also. However it was because of the architecture, and the steam lorry. Steam lorries were common in England and the British Commonwealth back in the days.

They never really seemed to catch on anywhere else. British Isles and a few (then) remaining colonies seemed to be the places that they were used quite a bit, and to some extent, later than one might think. In the USA, steam tractors were fairly common in the 1890s, and a little later. However trucks were mostly either electric or gasoline early on. By the time trucks became really large, gasoline was king, here. I have seen photos of steam lorries in the UK as late as the early 1930s.
I suspect that some of the reasons would have to do with the poor condition of roads in the USA in those days. Electric trucks worked well in cities in the USA, but did not have the driving range for between cities in the UK. England had roads dating back to the middle ages between cities, so early on, steam was a viable mode of power before gasoline engines became more manageable. Once they were in use there, they hung around for awhile, and were shipped to the then still colonies.
Just me, speculating again.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration