New in our garage this week

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New in our garage this week
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Tuesday my wife and I drove to a storage shed out in the country between Comanche and De Leon, Texas and dragged out this '23 touring. Been stored in there for years. The last activity on the title was in 1967. Pretty complete, including the top irons. I'm thinking I'll see if I can get it running and leave the "look" the way it is. Sorta like "Grapes of Wrath". The motor turns fine and I've started a list of the things I'll need to get "Velma" back on the road. For starters I'm lookin' for 4 replacement tires, size 4,40/4.50 X 21. Don't want new ones. Velma now sits in our garage at home next to Otis and Frank. The trip was a little over 500 miles for the day but the weather was perfect and it was a nice day for a drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Looks like it is almost ready to go! New lower windshield, headlight lenses, tires and seat cushions and you are ready to roll! Just in case it rains maybe a top or at least a tarp! Enjoy your "new" car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:56 am:

John,

Saw that one on CL. Well bought from what I can tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Otis has a new friend

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Body looks like 1924 to me - high cowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Uh oh! "Velma" a female? Now you've done it, they're going to start breeding! Better start building some new storage space...

Seriously though- NICE CAR!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Hopefully the body structure wood is still fairly stable. I hope the 21" split rims are still pretty decent. You will find that out when you remove the old tires from them. They tend to rust out when the tires have been on them for several years. Good project and glad it was stored inside and not on the back forty!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

You don't think the tire replacement can wait a while until they are more worn? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Started messin' with Velma this afternoon. Pulled the pan and the inside of the engine looks very clean----I was surprised. The same for the transmission. The bands and drums look like a recent rebuild. That's hard to figure because all the outside was/is pretty dirty. Just removed the gas tank and carburetor and will mess with them next. The only rust that I've found is on the surface. The rims look good, however I can't check it all until the tires come off. By the way, Velma was an aunt who was born in the early 1890s and she was a real pistol and lots of fun. Velma has been gone for many years now. I'll let you know how it goes from here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

You better get to polishing all that brass. It looks terrible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

More invaluable advice Burger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

She's a peach if you ask me!!!
Great find
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

What a great find. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

Nice find, I like to see them "still wearing their work clothes". They lose something after they get all "prettied up". But that is just Me. have fun and be safe....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

"Still wearing their work clothes" is a good way to put it. Thanks Donnie. Hope it's okay if I use that phrase from time to time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Velma, lookin' pretty good to me. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:23 am:

Gary,

As Dick so wisely pointed out, there's a lot more miles on those tires, I felt it
only in the same spirit of helpful guidance to suggest that polishing of the absent
brass might also be a good idea. The suggestion of the absurd as a good idea
would be considered funny to many. It's called "humor". You should look into it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:08 am:

I notice the steering wheel is back to front, must be awkward getting to the gas and spark levers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:22 am:

Nearly New Car!!!!
Great find, Good luck

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Looks like a 24 from here John. Lets see some more photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:13 am:

First thing I did when I got the T home was to take the steering wheel off and turn it around. The nut that holds it on is missing so I'll find another one to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:17 am:

You seem to have the knack, John. These nifty old T's just keep finding you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:19 am:

Ok that is very cool!!! Get it running and drive it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:23 am:

23 or 24? I'm no good at determining high or low radiator from a photo, especially at an angle, but it's easy enough to measure with a tape, and to look up the serial number. I do notice that there's no radiator apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:40 am:

New tires can still have the right look if you buy 4 different brands and tread patterns. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Steve, the radiator apron is in the back seat. I'll get to that later. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 10:46 am:

Checking the motor number I see that the date is June, 1924. So those who say it's a '24 are correct. Also, in front of the motor number are the numbers: 32 5. As shown here. What is that? I don't see a casting date. Is that normal for that year? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

John,

As I look at your pictures and review the CL pics it appears a lot of the original body wood is gone, yet it also appears someone took a stab at crafting some replacements. Is any of the original wood still there? Does the body have much rust through?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

Gary, you're correct--a lot of the original wood is gone but there has been some new replacement. With the T was a full set of plans for replacing or remaking the wood. I'm not into wood working so not sure what I'll do there. There isn't ANY rust through in the body---at least not that I've found and I've been all over the car by now. Two of the fenders have some cracks in the outside edge but I'll leave that alone--fits the patina of the car, plus I don't plan to drive to El Paso in Velma anyway (El Paso is 740 miles from here). I plan to be somewhat frugal (some would call me cheap) in putting the car back together---hopefully as it would have been done on the farm, in the day. For example, the hood top and both sides were separate so I used coat hangar wire in the hood slots and that seems to be working just fine----so far. Sure have enjoyed reading all the comments and observations on Velma. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

I have one of each of those tires I was tempted to throw away. They are old but usable. Yours for free in Cypress TX.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Here is Velma in her new quarters. The fan belt looks to be home made to me. Here are some pictures. Was this home made from a bicycle tire and stapled together?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Looks like your 1924 Ford has a 1923 and earlier radiator, shell and hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

It's just me, but I would repair that crack in the front fender--it could be done and "touched up" to look old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

Thanks Alan. I'll sure take you up on the offer of tires. Would you PM me on your address? Thanks. If you would rather call my cell then that number is 936-five two five-7788.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

John, looks like my project. I have had a good time fixing it up while leaving it as is. More character. Your car is pretty special.
!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

Mark, that's the way I like 'em too. I think our two trucks would get along just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

John,

Congratulations on your "new" Ford! What a great looking Ford.

From the photo of the car with the hood on it, I would agree with Eric that it looks like you probably have a 1917-1923 low radiator on a car that has a 1924-25 high style body. Because we can see the metal firewall which has the reinforcement rib going all the way up from where it attaches to the bracket that holds it to the frame (see below) we know that is a high cowl rather than a low cowl dash. since it fits to the body nicely -- the body also is a high cowl body.

Compared to the low cowl that the reinforcement bead only goes a much shorter way up.

The 21 inch wheels came out in 1925 but of course they could have easily been changed out sometime in the past. But so could the engine.

Do you know yet if the body has the equal length door hinges introduced later in the 1924 model year and continued into 1925 model year or the more triangular door hinges used 1915 to mid or late 1924 Model year? See the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/114100.html for photos of both style hinges.

Again, great looking car, that should be lots of fun to drive.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

If you have a hard time differentiating by looking at the radiator and firewall:

On tourings and roadsters, I also look at the center of the cowl between the bottom of the windshield to the top of the firewall. 1923 Ford cowls have a long, steep drop between the windshield and the firewall. 1924-25 Ford cowls have a substantially shorter distance between the windshield and firewall and the the drop is not as steep.

Also, the bead on the side of the cowl on a 1923 Ford touring and roadster is steeper than the bead on a 1924-25 Ford which is more horizontal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

Hap, the hinges are the triangular type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 12:24 am:

John,

I have an old Wards Riverside with tube that you are welcome to. Not sure
how we can get it to you, but it is here for the taking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

John,

Thanks so much for the clarification. That would indicate a 1924 rather than a late 1924 or 1925 body (assumes the hinges are original to the body/car).

It is going to be another fun car for you.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

John, what a(nother) sweet Ford in your care! She's purdy!
Cheat code; add one inch wood spacers under the rad mounts to make the hood fit... You knew this already. :-)
A honeycomb rad? My Hooven honeycomb rad sitting just over there behind me is a bit different from yours. Nice!
That fan belt might be a bicycle or a motorbike tire. Is it supple enough? Try it, if it works OK then run it... If I have no belt (I never do), I take an old belt for my pants and sew, staple or rivet... They work about 66% of the time. :-) True. Brake fluid works great on old and stiff canvas belts but they may tend to shred a bit whilst running... Dunno about rubber...
Lucky, the '24 TT won't have an old belt belt (had to spend $$ on him) but Lizzhe and Tin Cup have both used them with good success!
Nice car!

(Message edited by Duey_C on November 19, 2016)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration