Zenith 04 carburator for Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Zenith 04 carburator for Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

Anyone out there have any personal experience with using a Zenith 04 model carburetor in their T? I have one with the dedicated aluminum intake manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Mark, I have one on a T I recently bought. It has the dedicated manifold that you probably have; has the Zenith name cast on it. The car starts and runs great when the weather is warm, but it doesn't seem to have any simple way to adjust the mixture. This makes it hard to start when the weather is cold as it is now.
Is yours on your car or on your workbench? If the latter, is there any way to adjust the mixture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Are these the ones that you mean? We have a couple on our racer with an OHV and that idles and runs very well. Ours were refurbished by Stan Howe to a very high standard and from what I remember, they are a very basic carb without a main jet adjustment, although he does make an adjustable jet kit to fit those carbs for easier dialling in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

RalphS;
Do you have the choke hooked up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Mark, Yes the choke is hooked up to the dash rod, which normally controls both the choke and the mixture. But there is no connection for the mixture so the only way I have found to make it run richer is to manually hold the choke open until it warms up some. My carb is similar to the one Joe posted, but not the same throttle setup. There is a pivot on the Zenith manifold that connects to the standard Ford throttle rod running thru the engine, and then connects to the butterfly on the Zenith.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Yes Joe, this is the general configuration of mine. Which model is yours? It's either stamped or cast in the side.

I'm interested to know because according to the literature the "main" jet and the "cap" jet that surrounds the main jet are designed for specific different engines. There is only an idle adjustment on this carb and it's a small screw on top of the priming tube situated on the inboard side facing the valve cover.

Has this been a reliable carb for your engine? Anything to say about starting, acceleration, flat out running?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

These were originally made for the Chevy 490. There is controversy over when the manifolds were made but most of the ones I have seen over the years were part of the speedster line of parts made by Eldon Townsend beginning in the 70's. If the manifold is Aluminum IMHO that is where it came from.

As far as I know, there is no adjustment of the main mixture without changing jets. I have a lot of jets for them but as somebody said, make an adjustable jet for them.

My opinion is that they are a little better than an NH, look spiffy and if jetted properly run great if you run two of them on a split manifold. It is very hard to find two that match color as Zenith bought all the scrap brass/bronze/copper that came in to the yard, poured whatever it was that day. Rayfield bought all new bronze, Stromberg must have at least analyzed and attempted to get the mix about the same.

Overall, they run nothing like an SB4F Zenith!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, November 18, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

I have found with some Stromberg, Zenith, Schebler and others, holding the choke partly closed is part of the startup. That's why a choke cable that many of these carbs were setup to use, works better then the rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

Joe,

That is an outstanding looking carb. Stan Howe is a master at work!

Cheers,
Willis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration